Lost phone doe - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Lost phone doe

I had limited opportunity this year to shoot a deer. On the first day of rifle in 2F, I saw two sub AR bucks and two does and three does on the second day. Of course, I had a big bear I could have shot eleventeen different ways go past me on the first day of rifle. The following Saturday I had taken my 9 year old son out in the afternoon and we didn't see anything. I hunted the last Friday and after sitting all day in a tree stand, had a big 8 point walk past me but never present a shot until he crossed onto posted land. Last Saturday JasonN invited my son and I to Fryburg. We spend several hours in a ladder stand at the top of a hill, next to a field. The wind was blowing pretty good and it was cold. My little guy was able to tough it out until about eleven but by then he was freezing and ready to call it a day. When we got back home, I got ahold of a friend and he told me after lunch, he and a few guys were headed to a farm they had permission to hunt. He invited me along. Wee Man said he was done for the day so I figured this would probably be the last chance for a deer this year. I met up with them and away we went. When we arrived, the plan was to push out a hollow on one side of the farm. There was a cattail marsh and gully on the other side so me and another friend decided we would hit those while a couple other guys went through the hollow. It wasn't long before we heard some shooting in the hollow and two guys in our party each scored. After pushing out the two areas and not having much luck, the guy I was with said he was going to do a big loop around the East side of the farm where there was a narrow band of trees. I sat in the field at the end of the gully. My buddy said the deer would cross around that area. I decided to call my buddy on the cell phone to see what all the commotion was about. He told me they had some deer running around in the hollow and told me I should cross the 300 yards of field and sit along the top. I decided if the deer would be crossing into the hollow, a 30 yard shot when they got there was better that a potential 300 yard shot while they were running there. I slid my phone in my shirt pocket and I headed across the field. I found a little point that jutted into the hollow and there was remnants of an old home made tree stand laying on the ground. One small platform made for a perfect seat. It wasn't long after a lone doe ran into the hollow from behind me. It was one my buddy put up on his circle. The deer never presented a shot. A few minutes later, I heard more deer coming in from behind me and I turned to see seven deer, 5 fawns and two mature doe, sneaking down the hill. My buddy had put these out to me as well. I got the lead doe, which was the biggest, in the crosshairs and squeezed of a shot. She ran about 10 yards and piled up. Chalk up another for my .270 Remington Mountain Rifle! She was quartering pretty sharply away and the shot entered mid rib and exited out her left chest. It took both lungs and the top of the heart. I reached in my pocket to get my phone so I could call my buddy and let him know. Well, apparently, I had missed my pocket and my phone had slid down my jacket. I started frantically looking for it (its my work phone) where I was sitting but it wasn't there. I left the doe lay and went back across the 300 yards of field to where I last used it, trying to scan the ground on the way. It wasn't anywhere where I had it out of my pocket so I went back across the field again. Of course, it was impossible to follow the same path and I didn't find it. I made my way to the truck where my buddy was waiting and got the deer cart. By the time we got her out it was getting close to dark. I returned to the farm the following day and after apologizing profusely to the farmer's mother for disturbing her on a Sunday, she very graciously allowed me to go look for my phone. She was excited I got a deer and laughed when I told her I saved her a few bushels of soy beans next year. I took my Brit, Tripper along to get him some exercise and started searching for the phone. This field I crossed was 300 yards wide by about 700 yards long so I was at least grateful I crossed it and not walked its length. When the phone didn't turn up in the two spots I was sitting, I started a grid search by walking back and forth across the field 50 yards at a time. Now Trip was having a ball running the length of this field so I had to keep calling him back. After about an hour and a half, I called him back for about the 30th time, made him sit and explained to him he needed to stay close and we needed to find my phone. When I was done with my lecture, he trotted about 10 yards in front of me, stopped, turned around and stood there looking at me like, "Hey dummy, is this what you're looking for" Right between his feet was my dang cell phone! So, the only picture I have of the deer is her hanging, obviously. But, she's probably the largest doe I've ever shot. I'll be butchering her tonight.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Lost phone doe

Nice one

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM

congrats

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Nice job. Funny story as well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM

you might wanna skin her before you light up that royal oak.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:48 PM
The Man

Mans best friend does it again! Congrats on the doe and finding your phone.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Why didn't you have your buddy call your cell phone?

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Congrats!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner66
Why didn't you have your buddy call your cell phone?
It was on vibrate somewhere in 300 yards of field.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 AM
RB
Sage

NICE ONE Stevie!!

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page