The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

ban on deer feeding

15K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  Pa-Guy 
#1 ·
ross township in allegheny county wants to pass a law which would make it against the law to feed deer in the township what next rabbits

#3 ·
They think that somehow if people quit feeding deer the township won't be overrun with deer. The fact of the matter is there are to many deer and not enough homeowners willing to let hunters safely hunt their property.

Hunting is the answer and there are plenty of courteous hunters that would be more than willing to help.

These local municipalities should be reaching out to hunters and putting them in touch with landowners instaed of looking for solutions that do not work.

#4 ·
dpms said:
They think that somehow if people quit feeding deer the township won't be overrun with deer. The fact of the matter is there are to many deer and not enough homeowners willing to let hunters safely hunt their property.

Hunting is the answer and there are plenty of courteous hunters that would be more than willing to help.

These local municipalities should be reaching out to hunters and putting them in touch with landowners instaed of looking for solutions that do not work.
I agree 110%

#6 ·
mountainman09 said:
i agree years ago we hunted in fox chaple alot till they pass a law banning hunting it was about 5years later we were asked to come back and hunt certain areas we said no now they have snipers come in and manage the deer
Just for reference, a borough can only restrict hunting on land that they own.

If you have permission on private property, the borough cannot stop you from hunting there.

#7 ·
I have no issues with ordinances against feeding deer.I used to live in a private residential community that had a huge deer problem.It was overrun with deer and the habitat was trashed.Too many deer was a problem but so were people that fed deer.If you feed them it gives them a reason to stay.I never fed the deer and wouldn't have too mnay issues with the deer except for when the winters were very bad or when my neighbors would start feeding them.They'd put out enough corn to get them coming in and they'd still be hungry.Since the habitat was trashed,my landscaping would be the next best thing.We put a ban on feeding,I had a talk with my neighbors and never had a problem again.In fact,Since the habitat was so poor around my house,there was no reason for deer to be there and it would often be a couple months before we'd see deer from the house.

Hunters can be part of the solution but they aren't the only solution in many circumstances.We instituted a bow hunt and dmap'd the crap out of this area.wE'RE KILLING ABOUT 200+ DEER/YEAR and not even putting a dent in the population.There's simply too many houses and no way to effectively hunt those areas.

#8 ·
If they ban feeding deer than they should do it statewide.
Then the big decision will be what is feeding?
A truckload of corn or an acre or two of turnips....all draws deer.

#11 ·
This is still America and if I want to spend five hundred dollars and plant a unit of corn and leave it stand all winter and then harvest it in April that is exactly what I will do.
If on your land you choose not to plant corn I will not object to your decision either.

#12 ·
This is still America and if I want to spend five hundred dollars and plant a unit of corn and leave it stand all winter and then harvest it in April that is exactly what I will do.
what part of "If it isn't meant for harvest" did you miss?

#15 ·
Some of us are just less lemming like than others, I for one don't feel that deer are the cause of world hunger, global warming or even the debacle in Washington DC, so just as we don't try to exterminate them, we like to see that our harsh winters don't hinder their reproduction to much either. Hence our delayed harvest objective.

#18 ·
bushmaster said:
Feeding should be banned. CWD is on our doorstep. It benefits only the person feeding, not the deer.
So when they ban feeding won't all those food plots attract more deer? They might become nose to nose and bam,..more CWD.

Legalize it all or get rid of it all.

#24 ·
Honestly man, I've had a foodplot for about 5 years now. The whole family hunts there, and 1 deer has been killed now in the 5 year period. Foodplots are not the end all attractant people think they are.

What the do, do, is provide year round food and nutrition for not only the deer, but for all wildlife.

Like I said, they are not the end all attractant like made out on TV. I'd trade you a week hunting in my foodplot for your best archery stand anyday!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.