The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Gun shops

5K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  feasanthunter 
#1 ·
My father and I inherited some guns from my uncle when he passed away. After keeping the ones that were sentimental, and the ones that were useful to us we have decided we'd like to sell the rest in one transaction to a gun shop instead of piecing them out. Does anyone have any recommendations of good or bad shops to deal with? We're located in Washington Co. but are willing to drive a bit for the right deal. We are realistic with prices just don't want to deal with super low ball offers or cherry picking. On a side note we dealt the muzzleloaders to Morris Muzzleloading in Grove City and they couldn't have been nicer to deal with or more fair with their offer. I cant recommend them enough.

Thanks

#5 ·
I agree, I was going to sell a firearm at one of the big guns shops here because I wanted to buy a new shotgun for turkey. This shop advertises all the time that they buy guns and estate firearms are welcome. The forearm was a Franchie O/U 12 gauge I bought from the factory in Tally when I was in the Navy. It was in nice condition, the occasional scratch on the stock but still looked nice. It was choked mod and full, I bout it before choke tubes came on the scene. The guy at the gun looked at the gun, called another guy and he looked at it and the 1st guy came over and said he would give me $150.00 for the gun, that no one wanted guns without choke tubes and they probably could not sell it. I told him I would use the shotgun for a tomato stake before I would sell it to him for that amount of money. I did sell it later on for about what I wanted privately. If you have the time, sell the long guns privately.

#9 ·
That is a good recommendation. When the PGC used to hold confiscated firearms auctions every couple of years we would just shake our heads at the prices the guns went for. Many of them sold for more than they were worth. Good for us, but it didn't make sense. The more egos that are involved, the more they bid.

Reactions: bohunr
#7 ·
Yep, if you have the time and are looking to get a reasonable price for your firearms look to some sort of social media that will allow firearms sales. Up here in the Poconos we have a thing called Paper Shop and you can sell just about anything on there, I've sold several firearms well over what our local gun shop would offer on there.

#12 ·
Ill second pennswoods.net Great place. Ive bought and sold and traded on there. My buddy even traded a boat for 3-4 guns one time. Guys on there are pretty fair and honest. And they will come to you for the right price too. Trust me. Pennswoods will get your guns sold at a more than fair price. Gun shops will crush you.

#14 ·
On a side note we dealt the muzzleloaders to Morris Muzzleloading in Grove City and they couldn't have been nicer to deal with or more fair with their offer. I cant recommend them enough.

Thanks

I stopped into Morris's Muzzleloading last month and walked out with a bunch of supplies I never intended to buy. That's a good shop. Ill drop another vote for Penn's woods. It takes time but its you best bet for selling.

#18 ·
I'd have to be pretty desperate to get shy of a gun to sell one to a gun shop. It pains me to hear what they offer people for used guns. I fully understand why they offer what they do and don't fault them for it but, as a seller, you are paying a high price for the convenience of selling to a shop.

An auction is likely the best middle ground when it comes to getting a decent price and having convenience. If there is anything rare/collectible, be sure that the auctioneer caters to that crowd or consider selling those items personally.

FWIW, when my grandfather's estate was auctioned, I attempted to buy a shotgun. It had sentimental value and I was ready to spend twice what it was worth, or so I thought. I had judged worth on book value and recent GB sales. I don't know where the guy bidding against came up with is definition of worth but it was higher than mine, even with my heavy dose of sentimentality. Auctions have a strong effect on some.

#25 ·
I would second Redding's. He's pretty firearms specific, he even has a booth at the GAOS in harrisburg. His firearms auctions bring alot of people in and they tend to go for alot of money.

Gun shops are the worst place to sell a gun too. I took my original 1917 Colt 1911 to a gunshop when I lived in GA so the smith could give me some advice. It is unmolested, has the original double diamond grips and half dipped mags. The gun shop guy asked if I would ever sell it, I never would but I played along and asked him what he would give me for it. Ole boy offered me $500 cash or $600 store credit for it. I laughed in his face and asked him if he was born that stupid or if he had an accident that made him that way. I was no longer allowed back there haha.

Reactions: theaceman
#26 ·
I find Big places cabelas etc rip people off. Small gun shops are usually pretty fair and honest from what I see, And family friends and random people are the real vultures.
Go hang out at a gun shop and listen to the guys who hang around and talk. If the shops offered people the prices they pay people for guns they would be called crooks!
I actually know an older guy who has an ad in the paper and tells people he is buying guns so his grand kids have something from his time. So many older ladies call him and he straight rips them off then takes them to gun shops and re-sales them making profit. I would rather go to a gun shop and get paid 20-30% less than retail and have money in my hand and NO liability.

Reactions: .257
#27 ·
On a side note we dealt the muzzleloaders to Morris Muzzleloading in Grove City and they couldn't have been nicer to deal with or more fair with their offer. I cant recommend them enough.
I agree - The folks at Morris Muzzleloader are great. Curt did some work on my flintlock a couple years ago for me.

They offer a lot regular firearms as well as muzzleloaders & take trades. I’m assuming you tried them & they were only interested in the muzzleloders?

#28 ·
Even though it's a further drive than to Reddings check out Horst Auction in Ephrata (Horst Auction) if you decide to go the auction route. The website also lists the final bids of their previous firearms auctions so you can get an idea what different models are going for.

#29 ·
I don't know if you know how big of a hit you will take from a gunshop but it will be about 50% of value. Not worth the loss unless you just need money fast. I have used Pennswoods(rennug) numerous times with good results. You can still have a transfer done at any local shop but know that the fee by each shop can be different and exorbitant so ask a few around you.

#31 ·
I only sold two guns and I can tell you that they will offer you way less than an insult. With one of the guns, I was at a show, so I had multiple shops look at it.

Marlin 1895SS in 45/70. Only a few years old and in great shape. I was offered $120.

Remington M700 BDL in 25-06 with Redfield 3-9x40. I was offered $300 max and maybe $200 min.

When I was selling my 45/70, I wanted to get my son a Cricket 22. They are $150 new. The dealer wouldn't even trade me a virually new Marlin 45/70 for a Crickett 22. They wanted the gun and some money on top. It's ridiculous.

#32 ·
I only sold two guns and I can tell you that they will offer you way less than an insult. With one of the guns, I was at a show, so I had multiple shops look at it.

Marlin 1895SS in 45/70. Only a few years old and in great shape. I was offered $120.

Remington M700 BDL in 25-06 with Redfield 3-9x40. I was offered $300 max and maybe $200 min.

When I was selling my 45/70, I wanted to get my son a Cricket 22. They are $150 new. The dealer wouldn't even trade me a virually new Marlin 45/70 for a Crickett 22. They wanted the gun and some money on top. It's ridiculous.
Wow,
My local shop just bought a SS marlin 45/70 that a guy won at a gun bash They gave him $475 for it and put it on the rack at $599.
not all places are rip offs.

Reactions: .257
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.