The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Scope for 300 win mag

5K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  CMP70306 
#1 ·
I got a number of gift cards for cabelas and I was curious what the best scope combo would be for a 300 win mag. It will be used for hunting and shooting on the range. I’m thinking vortex or leupold.

#3 ·
All my rifles have Leupold's. I will add what I have noticed. The newer Leupold's VX3i's I purchased within 2 years are not as good as my older VX3's. I see a difference out in the field and in the woods. My favorite is the older VX3 (gloss finish) 2.5-8x36. That scope is sharp period. The newer Leupold versions I noticed looking thru the glass, I ask myself am I looking thru a Tasco scope? I'm not pleased with the newer VX3i's.
I have older VXII's and they too are sharp compare to the newer VX3i's I purchased. Good luck.

#5 ·
I will carry the gun for deer and bear. And my neighbor has. 1,000 yard range I would love to mess around on. The gun is a Tikka T3x Lite but taking the synthetic off and putting on a Boyd’s custom laminated stock. I’m willing to spend 300-500 and trying to get the best for my money.

#8 · (Edited)
1k using holdover, per your other post? with a T3? and a light weight carry gun? better try 500yds first. i would recommend a nice carry gun scope like leupold 2x8 if you want 500yds 3.5x10 not bad but14x on the top end would be better but BIG, 20x would be a monster of a scope on that, and build another gun/scope combo for 1000yds. 300WM is a fine caliber for that but trying to reach 1k with a carry gun is tough to do!

most groundhog matches don't have factory sporters shooting 500yds anymore due to too many crossfires. Better have a really big 1k tgt and Drags is correct on needing a 20moa base as those scopes don't have enough dial in them to reach 1k. Burris sig-Z with fiber inserts would help alot with your project.

leupold CDS dial on a 3.5x10..with Sig -Z rings with 5-10-20moa inserts kit..for a 500yd set up. what i was saying on FFP to add....on a 2nd focal plane the hold over only works on max power. CDS, once you get a proper load developed...or MOA CSD is even better!

#7 ·
I would look for a used 6.5x20 or 6x24 leupold sightron ect. scope. If you want to shoot to a 1000 yards you will need a 20 moa base minimum, if you are on a budget you can put a 20 thousand brass shim under the rear base and lap the rings and that should get you a little past 1000 yards. I have a 6x24 one inch tube sightron for sale $300.00 shipped if you are interested (but I don't take Cabela's gift cards ha-ha). Both leupold and sightron have lifetime a warantee.
Drags

#9 · (Edited)
Leupold scopes typically have 15MOA/rev , you should/may make 500yds with out inserts and std base but i doubt you will make 600yds dialing.

what bullet will you be using as BC is your friend past 500yds.

do you reload?

#10 ·
I only said he has a range out to 1k. And no I do not reload .....yet. And the rifle I ordered in lite is having a replacement stock put on it . Lite was just the cheapest option bc I am tossing it anyways

#11 ·
the pencil barrel is more the problem for 500 to 1k....carry on with your build and post some groups when you get it together.

hope you can understand my info?

#14 ·

Leupold CDS is a pretty good sysem out to 500yds...i prefer using MOA but you can make that call?

i have a Burris FFII 1.75 x 6 on my 308 carry rifle.with a 2 line hold over.

#16 ·
oh, i am VERY well aware of how well they shoot out there. did you ever shoot a 3 or 5 shot group with it at 600yds?

if so , lets see it. then we can talk about hit probability on a crow at 600yds even with it..

the Kimber Ascent is a bit more custom than a T3 also...and @ 4x the price..as is optics.

#17 ·
This is my T3 .260 at 500. There are two hits in the splatter nearest my thumb.

This is my T3X .300 win mag at 600. It was a bit windy. I was holding almost 2 mils.

The .260 weighs around 7.75 lbs scoped, the .300 a little over 8.5. Both wear SWFA 3-9's.

My heavy (13 pound) .260 does it better and easier but sporter weight rifles get it done.

I haven't owned a Kimber but I think it is very misguided to say T3's can't shoot with them. All I'll say about Leupold is that there are better ways to dial.

#18 ·
congrats rovert !
please enlighten Full Draw with better information for a scope for his rifle then as this is his post. or shall i post pics of my 500 and 600yd groups?
or are you 325wsm bro in law who thinks that group would take out a crow at 600? or is that a 3" plate?
i'm missing what i said wrong?
feel free to start another post with your point?
or provide full draw with better information please....

#19 ·
I never said anything about being able to hit a crow at 600. That is a feat for anyone, atleast for a first round hit in any amount of wind. You've been saying that sporter weight rifles are a problem at 500-1000. You then went on to say a Kimber " a bit more custom", so somehow maybe that rifle with a whippy barrel is better than a T3? I'm sure some are and some aren't.

I haven't shot past 800 with any of my sporter weight rifles so I can't speak to the effectiveness there. I can say that Tikkas can be capable of hunting accuracy out to 800 though. I never have any intention of taking a shot at a game animal past 600 yards.

I'm relatively new to long range shooting. I didn't start with great long range gear. I wouldn't discourage someone from trying out long range shooting because they don't have the "right" gear. As long as one has a true sub-MOA-ish rifle/load, things should be enjoyable. Everyone has to start somewhere. Scopes are learning curve for everyone. If someone wants to get into LR on the cheap, there is no reason to look anywhere but a fixed power SS.

The attitude you bring to this conversation is not helpful and certainly not encouraging. You've provided some good information but have basically told the OP his rifle is not capable. I think the average T3/X is certainly capable of shooting well past 500 yards.

I absolutely disagree with your recommendation of a Leupold for dialing. Leupolds have had some of the least consistent adjustments of any scope I've owned. I've only owned a couple of Vortex scopes. They have been better than the Leupolds. I haven't seen anything under the price range of a Nightforce that competes with an SWFA. Sightron, Weaver, and Burris maybe, but I haven't used them enough.

#20 · (Edited)
oh, so you want to argue and yes you are still learning and i completely disagree with you!

#1 i asked if you were 325WSM bro in law, apparently he thinks is easy to hit a crow at 600yds,,,a least you know that is NOT and easy ask!

#2 most matches do not allow nor shoot sporter weight barrels at 500yds due to too many crossfires but they do allow factory varmint, what does that tell you?

#3 disagree with Leupold dialing, ABSOLUTELY WRONG! not many years ago Leupold 6.5x20x50 LR or 8x25x50 LRT were about the only scopes used in long range. i dial my little leupolds and nikons all the time.

so you just said how difficult it is to take a shot and hit at a crow at 600yds but they ARE capable of 800yds hunting accuracy. don't get that either.

plus the OP does not reload and that has ALOT to do with the capability of the rifle...do you reload? or you shooting rem core-loks at 500 and 600yd plates?

so once again argue or help the OP with better information,

#21 · (Edited)
PS i have helped a friend not long ago after our last match shoot a factory sporter, it was a kimber 270WSM at a 1000yd gong we had set up for after match fun..we had a heck of a time dialing him in and even when we did ,he missed alot, actually out of @20shots and getting him "close" as i would in no way say he was "dialed in"...hit 1 for 20!

my other friend has a Howa 308 and loves to try and hit the 1k gong at mifflin, he can hit once out of many shots, i reloaded for him and had a wonderful 100 to 300yd load,,pretty sucky at 500..

you tell me HOW can someone learn to shoot long range like that?

just by letting them fly?

your attitude is what gives people bad taste about long range hunting not mine...how many stories do you hear about people taking long range shots by just holding over his back a bit? vs some one who HAS the proper gear for the job.

if you have a pencil barrel and know your rifle well enough through practice, you will also know your limits.

Reactions: drags
#22 ·
First of all, I was under the impression that the OP wants to try long range shooting, not hunting. There's a big difference. I'm not suggesting anyone steps into the LHR arena without having proven equipment. I don't care what equipment you are using, you should be competent with it at whatever range you choose to hunt.

Now, with that said, I guess I assumed that you knew how big a crow was. It would take ten or so of them to cover the vitals of a deer. It is far easier to put a bullet in a 12" circle at 800 than a 3" circle at 600. I'm not sure what is confusing about that.

I may have reloaded a round or two. Pretty sure I've never even fired a single core-lok.

I believe I did provide some scope advice. Perhaps you missed it. It's still there. I'm glad to hear the Leupolds are working for you. I can't say I've seen a lot to support the accuracy or consistency of their turrets.

My "attitude" is get out there and try it. As long as one is doing it safely, only knowledge will be gained and nothing lost. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone go out and try LRH without knowing what the gear and shooter are capable of.

BTW, you may want to revisit the load you developed for your friend with the Howa. If things are tanking between 300 and 500 you are probably getting a bit too much variation in MV. I'd be surprised if it isn't the load rather than the rifle with things being all hunky dory out to 300.

#23 · (Edited)
OP

Scope for 300 win mag

I got a number of gift cards for cabelas and I was curious what the best scope combo would be for a 300 win mag. It will be used for hunting and shooting on the range. I’m thinking vortex or leupold.

First of all, I was under the impression that the OP wants to try long range shooting, not hunting.
AH? maybe you should read the posts again?

and he has a T3 carry gun and $300-$500 and NEVER shot much past 150-200yds!

then goes on to mention 1000yds! this is LR section and i also this post don't belong here. He isn't even ready for 500yds yet!

thanks for all your advice ROVERT , duely noted and pretty much ignored after your first sentence.

i'm not new to LR at all!

so please instead of trying to argue with me, provide the OP with better information as well as anybody else.

#24 · (Edited)
I 100% back ROVERT on this conversation.

1. Is their rules for posting in the “long range forum”? Write a letter to a moderator and ask them to move my post. I didn’t see the forum for “everyone other than “300 Norma mag”

2. I mentioned 1,000 yard range never did I say I was going to shoot it. If you wanna consider it a 1,000 yard range you mise well consider it a 100 yard range as he had increments to 1,000.
3. By the sounds of it I cannot believe you would even talk to someone who shoots a howa or allow such a gun at the same range you shoot at.
4. I am pretty sure our military in Vietnam did not carry a bench gun around when the snipers had to make long range shots. Remington rifles in .308 most of the time. I know this is true because my uncle was one of them. He suggested that leupold went down hill and the scopes are not what they used to be, I tend to agree. That’s why I went with vortex.
I’ll take his advice and advice from ROVERT since he is willing to discuss “long range” without a poor attitude.

I think I might go to the local wal mart and pick out a box of long range core lokts and shoot 1,200 yards all summer. “Yee Haw”

#25 · (Edited)
congrats..you guys are meant for each other..you should get together and shoot together...

sorry for being right and helpful...I didn't know i had to have beter typing skills to make you feel good too?

YEE-HAW...lol

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.