The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

drying mushrooms

869 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  zhuntman 
#1 ·
anybody out there dry there excess mushrooms just wondering how they turn out

#2 ·
Depends on which mushrooms you are drying. Some don't dry well, but some are better dry in my opinion. I dried King Boletes last year and some Giant Polypore this year. The polypore is pretty tough if you just cook it, but I have found that drying it and grinding it into powder works pretty well. You can use the powder in soups, etc., which tastes okay. From what I have read they say that dried mushrooms are three times more potent than fresh ones.

#3 ·
Zeke is right....Some mushrooms can be dried just by placing them in a lunch bag and setting them on top of the frig....Others require the dehydrator to do it properly...

Take Ash Boletes...They have a lot of moisture in them so you need the Dehydrator..I do my Ash Boletes outside and not in the kitchen because of the tremendous amount of liquid that drips...
Now take a Morel....Just place 3 or 4 in a lunch bag and in about 3 days they are dried....Chanterelle can be dried in a bag too.
Might be better to Par boil the mushroom such as the Ash Boletes, Chicken Mushroom, Hen of The Woods, Oysters, for about 3 minutes then freeze in a freezer bag...Keep the liquid and freeze mushroom in freezer bag.
Honey Fungus....Liquid you boil it in is poison so your better to dry in dehydrator.
Some people string Honey Fungus on string with needle and let hang to dry. You got to have just the right temp for that to work or they rot.....

When in doubt....Par boil 3 minutes and freeze....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.