Duck Taxidermy Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Duck Taxidermy Help

I have recently invested a small amount of money into almost everything I need to do waterfowl taxidermy as a hobby to do birds for myself. I bought a good airbrush, paint, scalpels....just about everything one would need.

One thing I did not invest in is a flesher. I thought maybe some handheld wire brushes and a butter knife would suffice..I was wrong...I then put a drill in a vice with a fine wire wheel...using a hose clamp to adjust the speed..this kind of worked but I think that wire wheel is a bit to stiff and I do not want to cut into the skin.

At some point I will invest in a flesher and do it right but for now does anybody know where I can get "soft touch" wire wheel that would fit into a drill...the ones on the taxidermy supply websites seem to only fit the commercial fleshers.

I apologize in advance if I am looking for too much information. Again I am not looking to get into the business of taxidermy I would just like to mount ducks for myself, and I understand also that mounting ducks for other people would be a violation under federal law.

I got the Joe Kaiser instructional video...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Duck Taxidermy Help

Check Matuska taxidermy supply. They sell a pretty reasonably priced unit. Not too big. Also in the mean time a good pair scissors will work. Plus a scrapper with a serrated edge. I have what basically is a oyster knife.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you Mr. Schloss, I will be meeting you in March to drop off some ducks for you to do. My brother emailed you about a week asking about some ducks we shot in Texas. I will personally be bringing a canvasback, pintail, and redhead. I am very excited to get some work done by you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Part of the Community

Looking forward to it. I will probably have a few tips for you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Regular Visitor

not sure if this helps but i got a small variable speed bench grinder from harbor freight (maybe $30) and and ordered a soft wire wheel to fit. made a quick shield for it and it works great... i can adjust the speed for my needs and have done three ducks with it already. works great for now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page