Please Help!!! Stinky Euro Mount - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
ccs
Regular Visitor

Please Help!!! Stinky Euro Mount

Hi everyone. I really need some advice on how I can get the smell out of a European deer mount that I recently did. It has a terrible rotten odor from the nasal area. After boiling I cleaned the skull and got what I thought was all flesh from inside the nasal cavities. I can not see a single bit of matter remaining in the nasal canals, brain cavity, or anywhere. Obviously there has to be something in there, but I can not see it. The bad thing is that I did 5 skulls this year for family and friends and this particular skull was the one that I was the most careful with doing a good job. It was my 10 year old daughters first deer, a 4 point from the first day of rifle. I did 6 skulls last year. 10 turned out beautiful, super clean, and no odor. I am so upset that the one to not turn out right had to be this one. This little 4 point means more to me than every buck I have ever killed. I am afraid if I boil it more it will start to fall apart. Also, even if I did boil it more, I can not see any more matter left in there to remove. I have considered a slow boil/bath in super soapy water, then a bath in hydrogen peroxide for a long time. I guess I could remove all of the nasal cavities hoping to get it out, but I don't like the way it looks. I just don't know what to do, and it is really upsetting me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Please Help!!! Stinky Euro Mount

I would set it outside or somewhere you won't smell it and wait a few days. Whatever is left in there will rot away and not smell anymore. I make my mine by just throwing them up on the garage roof and waiting until spring time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

You could take it to someone that has a beetle colony and that should get anything that's still in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 PM
The Man

Did you boil it with dish soap during your process? try soaking it in the hair bleach product from sally beauty supply? I know on a couple I did especially the coyote more matter from the nasal cavity came out while I was soaking in the hair product.

That stinks... no pun intended lol. Good luck

2F for a while...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:18 PM

I have my own beetle colony and do all my customers European mounts with beetles so im not exactly sure what it is going on with your mount.
First off boiling is the worst thing you can do for doing a European mount, I know a lot of guys will argue this but it is what it is, boiling the skull breaks down the bone and over time causes the skull to become chalky, also soaking a skull to long in peroxide will also do the same thing.
The only thing I can recommend is letting the skull soak in heated water with dawn dish soap till the smell goes away.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 PM

you should also ad some borax to the mix. I would suspect something left in the brain cavity where you can't see. Maybe squirt a pressure washer into the brain cavity (be prepared for some overspray!)

Keep 'em in the ten ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page