Santa request - tanning kit??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Santa request - tanning kit???

Hi,

I have never posted in this forum but my daughter is really interested in tanning and processing pelts for sewing projects. I just talked to my mom and she said when she asked her what she wanted for Christmas she said she most wanted a "tanning kit" which did not surprise me but I have to admit I am not sure what that would mean for a kid.

Some background: We are novice hunters so we don't know a lot about dealing with animal skins so we're not much help in this area. The kid jumped in and skinned a squirrel we shot last week almost all by herself. She'd been doing research on Youtube about different skinning methods in anticipation of our hunt (who knew?) and just got right in there breaking the tailbone and making the cuts herself. I was impressed with her passion for it so I want to encourage her as much as possible but she's only ten, so I don't want her exposed to any dangerous chemicals. She's attempting to deal with that squirrel skin with a salt tanning method she had also already researched (again, who knew this is how she spent her free time?!). Her ultimate plan is to buy a breeding pair of rabbits with money she has saved up from birthdays and make stuff with the fur she harvests.

I am wondering if anyone would help me figure out what to buy for a ten year old who had this kind of interest and a genuine passion for it?

- J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Santa request - tanning kit???

Check out www.mckenziesp.com

That's Mckenzie taxidermy supply they offer tanning and mounting kits as well as many instructional DVD's. That should be a step in the right direction and let me say welcome to the world of the outdoors. It doesn't get any better than time in the woods with family. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybear
Check out www.mckenziesp.com

That's Mckenzie taxidermy supply they offer tanning and mounting kits as well as many instructional DVD's. That should be a step in the right direction and let me say welcome to the world of the outdoors. It doesn't get any better than time in the woods with family. Good luck!
Thank you! I see they have a kit that is meant "for the whole family". I will look into that one for her. She very conscientiously changed the salt on her squirrel today. I think if we can get her the game, this could be an interesting hobby for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Sage

A budding taxidermist?

Arrange a visit to a local shop. Fuel the fire.

Or, check out when the PA Taxidermist Convention is and go look at the mounts. The sportsmen's show in February is another good place to see hides and mounts.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
A budding taxidermist?

Arrange a visit to a local shop. Fuel the fire.

Or, check out when the PA Taxidermist Convention is and go look at the mounts. The sportsmen's show in February is another good place to see hides and mounts.
I think maybe. We brought home our first ever game animal last weekend and she just could not help but touch it and pose it and examine it all over as we got ready to gut it and skin it. She skinned it. She's just very oriented towards the outdoors but also anything she can do with her hands. It would be a great thing for her to get into. I think the convention idea is a good idea. We actually have a young female taxidermist in the city. She does fashion pieces and unusual taxidermy, in addition to the usual trophy mounts. Maybe we could stop by her shop.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Sage

Good idea. A bit of direction, inspiration, and knowing that another female has the same interest could prove to be the spark that sets a fire.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick
Good idea. A bit of direction, inspiration, and knowing that another female has the same interest could prove to be the spark that sets a fire.
I'll see if she's interested in giving a tour of her shop. She's pulled in quite a hullabaloo because she incorporates taxidermy in to art and fashion so she's got a fair amount of gawker interest in what she does, but maybe she'd be interested in helping a kid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page