Thinking about pursuing Taxidermy~NEED ADVICE~ - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about pursuing Taxidermy~NEED ADVICE~

I have been toying with the idea of pursuing formal training in this area. I am looking for advice on here regarding Where to go for the training and schooling and issues that I need to take into consideration...any and all advice is appriciated (and needed) thanks in advance

Let the countdown to April 30th begin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 PM
The Man

Re: Thinking about pursuing Taxidermy~NEED ADVICE~

http://www.taxidermy.net Maybe these guys could help you more.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

you can go to a taxidermy school...my husband attended pennsylvania institute of taxidermy...alot of money but you will do a little of everything(fish,mamals,birds)skinning,preping all of that.

you can look up master taxidermists who give private one on one classes. i ma not sure if you would learn skinning or hide prep with them maybe just mounting and finishing....you would need to seek out someone who specializes in each category(much more time consuming)

either way you could probably get a lot of one on one instruction for the price of school.

if you truly feel you will have a god given talent and you are artistic in other ways you should go for it. however if you are not naturally artistic it may YEARS to become good enough to do work for money! you have seen some shoty work on here i am sure and that is because it is HARD to recreate living creatures.

good luck

Keeping your dream alive, PTA life & UTA member, PAcert, State&Federal license
Mike&Jen Olszanowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Part of the Community

There is a good school in ebensburg pa
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM

All good advice but what I have been telling people in your situation is this: Taxidermy takes a combination of skill and talent. The only way to discover if you have either is to try it. However, for most, spending $20,000+ on a taxidermy school just to "see" if they have the talent and skill set or even the desire to be a taxidermist is a bit much. What I suggest is to go to taxidermy.net and look up the WASCO and McKenzie online catalogues. Order some Beginner DVDs and try it at home. You will know rather quickly if you have any taxidermy talent or if its something you want to pursue further. $60 on a couple of DVDs is a little easier on the wallet than $20,000 just to find out you don't have the talent or the desire to do taxidermy.
You might also consider attending the PTA Convention and Trade Show in Altoona the first week of March. Every supplier will be there as well as the top taxidermists in the country. For about $200 and three days you can find out if taxidermy is for you. http://www.pataxidermy.com

Good luck!
Paul
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM

I like this guy, he doees my taxi work and seems nice. Located a few minutes of the Somerset exit of the Pa. Turnpike
I would take Paul C's advice though. for a start.

http://www.northwoodtaxidermy.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM

dont do it for the money
do it for love of the trade

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Regular Visitor

Join the PTA, go to the convention, maybe get one of the trade magazines, and most of all, get your hands dirty. Start out with something that wont be a big loss if it doesnt work out. The way fur prices are shaping up, coons should be "almost free."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 AM

Paul C. has sound, well rounded advice. And he should....he is a respected leader in the industry. (No smileys because I seriously mean that!)

I attended Northwoods in 1994. (There was an explosion in taxidermists then.) Along with skill and talent, as Paul mentioned. It takes hard work. There's a verse to a song that goes: It took a long time but I finally learned, It ain't no gift it's gotta be earned! And I believe anything worth doing in life is worth studying. So if you do discover it's up your alley, invest in the education. Just make certain they have a quality business course or take one at a community college. The art aspect is only half. Just the opinion of one taxidermist. There are many out there. Not one of them has ALL the answers. No matter how full of themselves they are.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Banjoman, AMEN to that paragraph. I've done taxidermy for 10 years now and sure as heck don't know everything, and probably never will.... I'm still learning everyday. LOL Stuffer

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page