turkey fans - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

turkey fans

I took my first ever turkey this year - a large hen with one shorter tail feather. I want to dry out the fan and so far i've skinned it all out, took out the "pope's nose" and cleaned off as much fat as I could. Soaked it in coleman fuel for an hour or so and more of the fat dissolved to the point that I was comfortable packing it with borax. this was all done tuesday night. I replaced the borax today with fresh, rubbed into all the nooks and crannys and things are drying nicely. I did notice however today that I had nicked off the end of 2 of the fan feathers...how bad is this?
I've read not to do it...but noone has been able to tell me why. just wnat to know what to expect and how much effort I should put into the mount if it's going to fall apart. I can always keep the good fan feathers as my memory/trophy if i need to.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Re: turkey fans

It will be fine
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It should be fine. I have moved to an easier method, and just pluck the tail feathers, arrange them face down on wax paper and hot glue the feathers together. Saves time and once on a plaque you can not tell the difference. Just my opinion.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

ya know...as i was cleaning out all the goo...the thought of plucking and gluing crossed my mind. i figured there had to be a reason noone mentioned this on any of the websites i checked so i figured there HAD to be a reason for it.

I toyed with making a small block of moldable epoxy clay after the feathers were plucked and just inserting them into the block...then adding the cover feathers for the fan.

I think i'll do this on the next one and compare them after a year and see which one was worth the amount of work. I think i already know the answer LOL

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page