Turkey fan,feet, and mount question?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Turkey fan,feet, and mount question??

I finally got a gobbler.

It was my first and I did the entire hunt by myself. I want to make this a little bit more than a traditional plaque. the white center tail feathers add a bit more character, so I am getting this vandykes kit. My buddy is giving it to me.

This is the fan, beard, and feet. I have the beard finished and boraxed. It is hard to the touch and completly dry.

Here is the vandykes mount he is giving me. i like this mount and a cheaper alternative to the plaque.

I wish it had more blue on the head but it will do for now. Maybe I can find a replacement head or get a taxidermist to add some blue to the head. No a big issue as of right now.

I got as much meat as I could from the tail feathers and salted it for a day, then put borax on it. I have brushed the first coat of borax off and reapplied a second coat last night and did a bit more picking at the drying meat.

The questions I have are as follows:

1) once the fan is dried, should I put taxidermy clay/ bondo over everything to help prevent bugs from ruining my fan, and keep . This will be in my garage for now, and then moved to my shed I am converting to a workshop. the bugs can get into both.

2) Is there any way to get the feather strands to work back togetther. Some of them have seperated and the fan looks a bit open in some places.i want to have it as smooth and nice as I can.

3) I had seperated the feet right at the joint. I have salted, and boraxed these a few times, the ends of the feet at the joint are pretty dry but the feet and toes are still flexible, What do I need to do too preserve these. I am thinking that i should cut them below this joint, and continue to borax them.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Mike

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
The Man

Re: Turkey fan,feet, and mount question??

Steam the feathers, and they will go back to natural form.........get a pot of water boiling, and steaming then hold the fan over it, and work the feathers back into their natural positions....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks buckshot! I know it sounds dumb but i really want this to look sharp

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ok. You need to get all the meat out of the fan. Use the borax to help you scrape it out. There is a bone in the center of the tail fan. Its very small, this can be removed. Then you will take some bondo once all the meat is removed and put a thin layer over it to hold them together. While the bondo is setting up. dump a little borax on it and get the bond as flat and smooth as you can. For the feather separation. Just try and put them back together. Alot of times the wont go back together once they are seperated but its worth a try. The feet are going to dry and stay in the place you have them set in. The only way to minimize shrinkage is to inject the feet with a solution. The feet will lose some color when the dry. Only way to keep it is to repaint them.

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page