European mount help! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

European mount help!

I have a buck that I killed this year that i decided to do a euro mount on. I went through all the steps of boiling and getting it clean. Now when i degreased it i put it in a bucket of hot water and dish soap and let it sit a couple hours (i changed the water once to make the water hot again). The first time I dumped the water out it was real dirty but the second time it was clean. I took it out let it dry then I put on the 40 volume peroxide and let it on it for 48hrs. In some spots it is white but some spots are not getting that white color. Should i try to degrease it more or is it too late.
Thanks

Kids who Hunt, Trap and Fish don't mug little old ladies!

Pro squeezing Prostaffer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Re: European mount help!

Definently sounds like grease...I try to do everything as fresh as possible...the longer they sit the worse they turn out IMO...

I also have had my best results in simmering with dawn dish soap in the water...

Many ways to degrease a skull....fresh deer heads turn out fine for me when boiled in dawn...

I boiled with soda ash three times and completely regret it...I bought a skull kit because it was cheap..came with soda ash(washing soda) and 40% peroxide...I liked how quick the skull was done with the washing soda in the water so I used it again...and a 3rd time...all 3 skulls are about ruined...they look great when first done...bleach white...but as they dry they turn chalky and within a year are yellowed...never again....

My ones done in dawn water are nice hard bone...I don't care for bright white so I don't get crazy whitening...usually peroxide in the sun a few days is fine for me...

I am upset over the washing soda...it came with a "professional" kit...and I know its what ruined the bone....bleach would have done less damage...sadly its my best 2 bucks and a big freak I pushed to dad and we had an awesome hunt..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM

all you need to know:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,125076.0.html

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It takes more than one day to get all the grease out of a skull. I don't boil or simmer skulls. I use maceration. After the bacteria have done their job, the skulls get degreased in Dawn and water at a temperature of around 125 degrees. Deer skulls are usually degreased in 3 to 4 weeks. Bears take much longer. After the skulls are degreased, I whiten them with a peroxide paste.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yes, what he ^ said. I bought an aquarium heater off e-bay for like 10 bucks. It heats up the water and degreases skulls very well just add some dawn dish liquid and give it time. if water gets cloudy just rinse and put new in.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

ya i guess it is grease. so do you think it is safe to try to degrease again even though I put the peroxide on already?

Kids who Hunt, Trap and Fish don't mug little old ladies!

Pro squeezing Prostaffer
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You can degrease it more after you used the peroxide.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM

boiling a skull is the worst thing you can do to it..boiling a skull will make it chalky over time and it breaks down the bone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

bugs are the best if you are doing them large scale for the avg joe go to mckenizes an get the skull bleching kit it comes with sodauimcarbonate you put this in the boil and it helps remove the meat also a few tips put a small amount of any degreaser dish soap in the boil after it is cleaned put it into a tub an fill with peroxide do not use bleach it will eat away the skull. let it soak in the peroxide for 24 to 48 hours depending on the color you want to reach now when you remove the skull do not let it air dry dry it with a hair dryer, when doing this it help give a brighter white.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page