Duck under glass question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Duck under glass question

I have a seated duck mount I'd like to get under a glass/plexi/plastic box cover. Any suggestions on the best material and best place to buy or make one without breaking the bank?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Re: Duck under glass question

Go ask your taxidermist that mounted it he'll know it probaly won't cost too much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Part of the Community

Cheapest way would be to get one at a Michaels or AC Moore crafts store. They carry these in different sizes by the picture frames. They have different sizes available. Sunday paper usually has flyer with a 40% off coupon, or go to their website to get coupon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdodgex
Cheapest way would be to get one at a Michaels or AC Moore crafts store. They carry these in different sizes by the picture frames. They have different sizes available. Sunday paper usually has flyer with a 40% off coupon, or go to their website to get coupon.
"Cheap" and "good" are terms that rarely, if EVER, go together. Anything sold by Michaels or AC Moore is not going to have any quality associated with it. If the OP is that worried about cost Saran Wrap will do the same thing, look as "good" and be cheaper still.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Part of the Community

Everyone loves a smart <censored> Paul. 9 times outta 10, when someone uses the phrase "without breaking the bank"....they are looking for a cheaper way out. And while the memorabilia cases sold at michaels and ac Moore aren't the quality of a custom case, they certainly can serve the purpose to protect a duck in acrylic if someone wanted to stay in the $40 range.
And I don't know how concerned the OP was about price...but I'll assume if cost wasn't an issue, he would just take the duck back to the taxidermist to have it done.
Either way the Saran wrap comment wasn't really necessary. It's comments like that and ones from a few others on this site that make some of us not frequent here or comment when a fellow HPAer has a simple question.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdodgex
Everyone loves a smart <censored> Paul. 9 times outta 10, when someone uses the phrase "without breaking the bank"....they are looking for a cheaper way out. And while the memorabilia cases sold at michaels and ac Moore aren't the quality of a custom case, they certainly can serve the purpose to protect a duck in acrylic if someone wanted to stay in the $40 range.
And I don't know how concerned the OP was about price...but I'll assume if cost wasn't an issue, he would just take the duck back to the taxidermist to have it done.
Either way the Saran wrap comment wasn't really necessary. It's comments like that and ones from a few others on this site that make some of us not frequent here or comment when a fellow HPAer has a simple question.
To each his own I guess. The taxidermist that mounted the bird in the first place would be the best source for a display case. My point in making the "Saran Wrap" comment was not to offend you but to make a point about getting what you pay for.
Putting a $350 duck mount under a $25 case makes it ALL look like junk.

Sorry for offending your sensitivities......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Now now fellas...

I'm just looking for a fairly cheap 5 sided clear box to drop over the mount so it is obstructed as little as possible. Edge-less i'll call it, like the seam on a fish tank. My taxi couldn't provide exactly that. Could I go to a glass shop to get one? Make it myself from plexi and some adhesive ( looking for help if this option is viable). Or does van dykes sell something like that? If I could get out the door for sub $75 I'd be happy.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Answered my own question at van dykes.....$175-200 before shipping...ouch
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackLegacy
Answered my own question at van dykes.....$175-200 before shipping...ouch
That is pretty much a standard cost Mack. Seamless/edgeless plexiglass cases are expensive to make and even more expensive to ship.
I do about 20 "case jobs" per year and have them made locally. If you're within driving distance of Erie PM me and I will get you the info.
Like I said in my initial post.....quality costs money.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM

Mack, I'm not sure the size of the mount, but check out football helmet display cases and/or other sport related cases. They just might be the right size and last I checked, they will fall right into your $75 budget. ebay

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page