The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Shoulder Mount Question

725 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ChrisNeffFCO 
#1 ·
I want to pick your brains a bit regarding selection of which way a buck is turned for a shoulder mount. Say you shoot a pretty symmetricaly racked buck, but one side is generally larger than the other. Does this ever play into which way a shoulder mount should be facing? I was wondering if the larger side should be closer to the viewer which means farther from the wall as compared to the smaller side or vice versa?

#3 ·
Generally speaking, the best side should be in the front. That is generally though. Unless one of my clients knows when they walk in what turn they want, the first question I ask is Where will you be putting it? If you only have one spot to put the mount, you don't want it looking away from everyone or its nose in the corner. That is the first consideration, if they have different spots they could hang it, then I'll look at the rack. Generally the best side forward, but sometimes that best side looks nicer when you look at it from the inside of the rack. There may also be points that get blocked from view depending on the turn. The next thing to look for is any scars/damage to the face or even different hair patterns. These may be things you want to try to hide or they may be something you want to show off. One thing I'll throw out there, it seems to be an issue sometimes. When we, the taxidermist, say Right or Left turn, we are talking about the deer's right and left. If we are having trouble understanding each other, I'll tell my client to picture standing with their back to the wall where they are going to hang the mount. If they want the deer facing to their left, then left turn. A lot of guys look at a mount face to face and say right turn when the deer is actually turned to its left. Just thought I'd add that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.