PTA at Outdoor Show - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

PTA at Outdoor Show

I posted this as well in the GUN CONTROL FORUM:

As of now. The Pennsylvania Taxidermists Association is NOT pulling out of the OUTDOOR SHOW. I like the President as a person, but when the President was questioned as to why? His response was:

Because we're an invited guest. The space is free, and there's lots of money that would be missed. I feel membership would be upset for missing out on potential customers which means money.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I am a LIFE MEMBER </span>of the PTA for the majority of 19 years, and am sorely disappointed and let them know that I would have NO PROBLEM with the PTA pulling out for the message it would send to Reed Expo, and to the customers whom we are supporting through taxidermy.

I have to ask....what is more important? MONEY? Or sending a message on our RIGHTS as a FREE NATION? To both ourselves as citizens and to those who SUPPORT US?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bad move PTA!</span>

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Part of the Community

Re: PTA at Outdoor Show

I will be sending a letter also. I am a member of the PTA, not yet a life member though. I really look forward to the convention every year, but will sit down and really think this over before I send my letter. My first step is going to be looking for a comparable state convention to become a member of so I do not have to give up the learning experience these conventions provide. The PA convention is one of the best in the country though. I hope they do not make me decide, but if I have to I will.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned

Pulling out of the show, at this stage would not be fair to the members who have been working on there pieces, what kind of statement is it gonna prove to reed expo? I have been involved with the PTA for 8 yrs and 100% agree not to pull out ! I feel as a member if you don't want to attend the show , don't go ! I don't agree with the Reed Expo on banning certain vendors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSimmons
Pulling out of the show, at this stage would not be fair to the members who have been working on there pieces, what kind of statement is it gonna prove to reed expo? I have been involved with the PTA for 8 yrs and 100% agree not to pull out ! I feel as a member if you don't want to attend the show , don't go ! I don't agree with the Reed Expo on banning certain vendors!
X2 The space the PTA uses is provided FREE of charge from Reed. We do not pay them they pay us! By providing FREE space for the PTA taxidermists to display their work the PTA is continuing to provide a valuable service to its members. A PTA boycott of the show would do NOTHING but hurt the PTA members that have worked so hard on their pieces. The public that would be viewing the PTA display already PAID their money to be there so you would be hurting them as well.
Sorry.....bad idea.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some will do what is best for our rights , others will do whats best for there bank account.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

just a wifes opinion but... the pta is NOT a political group, we did not become members to work together and stand up against the government, we became members to improve our TAXIDERMY work and meet others in the industry so we can all share ideas and knowledge. The PTA should not take such hard stances on these issues because some members may have a different points of view than others. We are in the organization for taxidermy reasons not politics. How is pulling out going to make a difference, all it will do is take a way a great opportunity for the members.

Keeping your dream alive, PTA life & UTA member, PAcert, State&Federal license
Mike&Jen Olszanowski
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have any individual taxidermists who had pieces ready to bring for the comp decided to not bring their mounts and compete? I know if I had, I'd be NOT bringing mine, and asking for a refund from PTA for the entry fees. I'm from MD, and we MD gun owners have to fight tool nail and claw every year against the gun banners, so we know what a battered gun owner feels like. Right now many of us feel like we've been pinned as sex offenders. I am at MDshooters and there is always daily chitchat about black rifles and how many is too many, and a heck of alot of obsession over gun collections. The running joke is that we all have boating accidents all the time and actually don't own any guns anymore. The Bay has guns all over the bottom.

If PTA wants to keep the comp, fine. Maybe it should be up to each taxidermist to decide wether to not bring their work in for the comp. I do hope PTA refunds anyone who does this.

I personally have customers who own "black rifles", and I also have customers who could care less about them. And I don't even know what the ones who have seen me open carrying a pistol think of it! The black rifle guys don't care though. The right to carry guys don't care, some have said it's good since I am a woman alone alot. I had one guy here the other day to pick up his raccoon hat and he didn't seem to even notice the PS90 I had sitting out that I was making a leather sling for. I guess it just isn't evil enough looking.

Lastly- remember Jim Zumbo? I recall ALOT of rancor against him at taxi-net when that happened. The Nuge invited him to his place to see what the black rifle thing was really about, and Zumbo changed his tune. Standing up for your principles can really affect change. The backlash against Zumbo educated alot of hunters. This deal with Reed getting such a backlash is an example of the Nugent/Zumbo legacy. Hunters are in an uproar more than ever over the spitting on the 2A.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Part of the Community

Banning the show at this point is ridiculous. It isn't
Going to harm Reed Exhibition, it's going to harm outfitters, taxidermists, other legitimate vendors that travel here, and depend on the show. John Annoni from Camp Compass had an awesome idea, everyone wear Orange to the show, to show Reed that you won't be attending next years show. I'm not on the PTA board, but I still plan on helping out
at the show as much as possible.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhollowarcher
Some will do what is best for our rights , others will do whats best for there bank account.
I agree! A TRUE Patriot would think of nothing more. It's called short term sacrifice for the long term benefit of us all, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife-to-mike-o
the pta is NOT a political group, we did not become members to work together and stand up against the government... We are in the organization for taxidermy reasons not politics. How is pulling out going to make a difference, all it will do is take a way a great opportunity for the members.
We're thrust into politics by the decisions that are enacted upon through legislation. It's not about "being political." I'm thinking beyond membership. I see the PTA shining brighter for having put themselves above monetary gain.

ChrisNeffFCO....I'm not condoning boycotting the PTA. It's a fine organization because of the people. I personally disagree on what I think is a weak stance leadership is taking on this one issue. It doesn't make it a corrupt organization. Keep attending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapperwoman
Standing up for your principles can really affect change. The backlash against Zumbo educated alot of hunters. This deal with Reed getting such a backlash is an example of the Nugent/Zumbo legacy. Hunters are in an uproar more than ever over the spitting on the 2A.
And what a way to support hunters ( who are gun owners that support us) than to stand up for our RIGHTS. Rights that American blood has been spilled over to protect them. I won't turn my back on any of that for bank roll!

I respect all opinions. Great group of people. But I'm just bringing it to the attention of the public, and to my customers, whom I'm SURE will appreciate it. I guess we all just have to decide what's more important?

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Part of the Community

That is why I'm stuck with what I should do. I don't have a dime of my own invested in the ESOS. I wasn't planning on taking any of my work to begin with. But, how can I ask those that do have plenty of dimes invested to give that up, if I am not willing to sacrifice myself. I wrote a letter yesterday to my clients asking them what their opinion would be of my business one way or the other. I try to distance my business from political agendas, but like you said, the business has been thrust into politics. I think it is only right to get the opinions of my own clients before I do anything else. At this point it is almost too late to get enough information to act this year though.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page