a little help please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

a little help please

Ok, so my buddy's son shot is first ever deer on Saturday, a piebald spike buck and he was super excited about it and wanted to get him a full body mount. Well, he took it to a local taxidermist in the e-town/mt. joy area. The taxidermist said that it wasn't anything special and that piebalds are actually junk and he gets a ton of them in. My buddy was pretty excited about this whole deal at first but was quickly deflated by the taxidermist. The taxidermist said that he would still do it if he wanted but it would cost $3000 bucks. So I guess I have two questions. First, is there anyone local to the Lancaster area who will not rip my buddy's son's deer apart and second, is $3000 bucks standard for a full body deer? That just sounded high to me. I never had a full body done so I could be wrong.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Re: a little help please

That taxidermist obviously flunked the "Business skills" part of his education. He should be flogged!
$3000, depending on the pose and the habitat base, is not out of line. However, for $3000, you can find someone who is not only skilled at taxidermy but also at dealing with people. You might try going to PTA website and finding a PTA taxidermist near you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Part of the Community

Another cheaper option (maybe $200) would be to have the hide soft tanned so it could be hung on the wall or over a banister. Not to try to sway them away from the full mount, because that would be pretty neat, just expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick6714
Another cheaper option (maybe $200) would be to have the hide soft tanned so it could be hung on the wall or over a banister. Not to try to sway them away from the full mount, because that would be pretty neat, just expensive.
X2, would look very cool. I know a guy who would do a great job and cost you most likely 1/3 of the quoted price you received. Just look above your post at our site sponsor

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys, I just texted my buddy. I hope he can get a hold of the taxidermist as I think he left his deer there to get the hide tanned so I hope he doesn't cut it up before he gets a chance to take it somewhere for a full mount. I know he had it skinned for a full mount. I just can't believe a taxidermist would tear down a kids first deer like that and literally call it junk!

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Part of the Community

Would like to know what taxidermist this is?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

As much as I'd like to I'd rather not call out someone publicly on an open forum. If you plan on taking your animal to someone in the area I mentioned and would like to know then PM me.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That terrible, sounds like the "service" people complain about regarding Redneck Taxidermy, but with a high price attached to the rudeness rather than low.

A piebald IS a unique animal, and what a stupid taxidermist to judge what is or isn't special to a hunter.

If you haven't chosen someone else to do it, I'll do it if you are willing to come down here. I'm right by the PA/MD line near I83. Depending on actual size and what sort of basework you want, it will be 1500-1800.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BTW I have high functioning autism( aspergers), which alot of people stereotype as meaning "rude and selfish loner weirdo genius", but since I found out "what I am", I've become very easy going. I've always been polite and bend over backwards though. You will only notice how "weird" I am if you let me start talking too much LOL.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

piebald deer are actually genetically different then normal deer as in they suffer from some loss of the genes which is why some have under or over bite an sometimes have much smaller antlers, that being said I would love to have atleast a tanned hide of one they be weaker genetically but still are really cool I have only ever seen one doe in my life so far in the wild. as for 3k for the mount I had a friend that is getting a lifesize elbino buck mount an I think he was priced at 2500, everything from the form to the cost of tanning an the amount of time put into the actual mount take much longer an a lot of work is required, I would recommend getting a shoulder mount or just having the hide tanned for a rug or chest cover for a lot less.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page