Good amateur taxidermist... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Good amateur taxidermist...

Can anyone recommend a good amateur taxidermist. At one time I'd hear of lots of guys who were pretty good, but not licensed yet. They'd mount a buck for the cost of the materials. I'm looking for one because I shot two 10-points in the last four days, but I can only afford to get one mounted. (See: My second 10-point of the year.) My alternative is to have the second one done in a Euro mount.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Re: Good amateur taxidermist...

No such thing Steve. NO ONE can accept ANY money for doing taxidermy work for another without a Dept.of AG License and a Sales Tax License.

Just a suggestion....You've had an amazing season. There is no reason NOT to commemorate the lives of two great bucks by getting them mounted. Most taxidermists will work with you on payment. I have several clients with HUGE taxidermy accounts here and we just work it as money is available. Once they are skinned and in the freezer a small deposit and "payment when you can" will keep them for you until you have the money.
Just don't want to see you regret an avoidable mistake by thinking you "can't afford it".

Congrats on the bucks!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM

I had one mounted by a co-workers Dad. He just done it as a hobby. He told me the same thing that Paul C stated.

So, he actually did the mount as a favor for his son's buddy. I appreciated the gesture so much that I sent him and his wife a Christmas card that year with a nice little monetary gift.

That said, Paul C is absolutely correct. You had a season that very, very few hunters will ever have Steve . I am sure that you and your taxidermist would be able to work out some kind of a payment plan to have both of those magnificent animals mounted.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

What Paul said
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
The Man

It's not that I don't have the cash available, but $1000 in taxidermy bills is hard to sell to the Mrs.

I am aware that an unlicensed taxidermist can't accept payment for his work, but I'm not aware that means they can't do work as a favor, being reimbursed for the cost of materials. After all, it would be the same as him telling me what he needs to do the job, and me ordering a form, eyes, clay, etc., and paying the tannery.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get the PA buck on the wall, and keep the domestic peace. The NY buck is already at the taxidermist, and I've already paid him for it.

I'd even be willing to do it myself if I had someone willing to coach me and I'd buy the materials from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotik
I had one mounted by a co-workers Dad. He just done it as a hobby. He told me the same thing that Paul C stated.

So, he actually did the mount as a favor for his son's buddy. I appreciated the gesture so much that I sent him and his wife a Christmas card that year with a nice little monetary gift.
Something like that is what I'm hoping to find, but isn't that what Paul C is saying can't be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotik
That said, Paul C is absolutely correct. You had a season that very, very few hunters will ever have Steve. I am sure that you and your taxidermist would be able to work out some kind of a payment plan to have both of those magnificent animals mounted.
I feel very privileged to have killed back-to-back 10-points. And I will make every effort to get this PA buck on the wall with the NY buck. I've had two people offer to loan me the money, but having the ready cash isn't the issue.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Regular Visitor

Hi Steve,

Dan Swanson here. Stop by and we can work it out, just like Paul C said. No problem from my end. Lets get the first one done and work towards getting the second one done down sometime down the road.

Thanks,
Dan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Regular Visitor

You can have the hide tanned, and then just freeze it and use it whenever you have a year you don't shoot a "mounter". You'll get the antlers back right away and be able to admire them until you're ready.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM

I sorts know how u feel. I have one in the freezer from NJ. Waiting to see how late season in Pa works out before I drop off. My self imposed limit us 1 mount per year. Still have 2 other racks I may mount if I have a year without one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd opt for the euro if you aren't willing to spend the money to get them both mounted by a reputable taxidermist. You are the one who is going to have to look at a more than likely terrible mount by going to an ameteur for the rest of your life.

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM

First, congrats on both of your kills. Its a great accomplishment. I ran into the same problem last year. I killed a PA 157" 18pt and an OH 135" 8pt in the same year with my bow. My wife was none too pleased with putting 2 more bucks on the wall let alone taxi bill. I opted to have my PA buck mounted and did a euro mount with my OH buck. The wife even let me put both on the wall (not that she had a choice lol). I'm really glad I did the euro mount. They both turned out really well and it kept the peace in the house. Good luck with your decision and congrats on the bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page