tanning a display skin - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

tanning a display skin

i do some small taxidermy projects for myself and i use a wet tan to do shoulder mounts for deer and was wondering for a display skin of a fox or raccoon would using a wet tan work if after i wash the hide i add some softening oil to the hide then 'break' the hide almost like a rug?

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM

Re: tanning a display skin

It can work if you want to go through all the trouble to get a "not so good" result. For me, its way too much work and easier in the long run to send it to a tannery to get a far superior job.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been using HeadQuarters rub on tan ( the pickle required one) on foxes, then applying the white softening oil they also sell a couple hours later. I then follow the instructions they have for finishing. I have had great results on the foxes. Be sure and tumble them with some paint thinner added to the mix as your last step, this removes residual oil, and fluffs the fur up really nice. Just shake the sawdust/corn cob out real well. I get almost no shrinkage.

I wouldn't recommend for multiple customers if you run a large shop, due to the time involved, but it's fine for your couple of special personal furs, or if you have the time, for resale or making hats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

like i said just small stuff my own deer an some squirrels here and there just like doing it and help kill time an i find it kinda relaxing, im just now getting into the tanning part of the whole thing. i would like to try and do a display skin for myself and this year my brother started trapping and when he gets his first catch whould like to do one for him but a hat would be somethign to try also i had looked for coons skin ones but could never find any patterns

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page