Calling the Taxidermist - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Calling the Taxidermist

Shot a bear in November the taxidermist told me that it would take 11 months to have it done into a rug. My question is would it be appropriate to call him and ask how the rug is coming along. I'm curious to know how large the rug will be. Very excited to see it but don't want to hassle him because he did say 11 months. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Re: Calling the Taxidermist

i used to do that when i was younger. i'd call my taxi to every few months ask and i think he got annoyed by it. one thing you have to remember, its not like they work on your mount for 11 months. they skin it, freeze it and or ship it off to be tanned, whatever, then probably wont touch it until a few weeks before its done. right now he's probably working on fish and turkey. he probably wont even get to the bears til fall.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
The Man

Cripes, I had my rug back in April when I shot my bear two years ago. That's the only one I've ever shot, so I have no idea how long it takes normally. I can't see any harm in calling and asking how big it will be when completed, if you really need to know. If he told you 11 months up front though, I wouldn't bug him about getting it done.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Part of the Community

I would never tell one of my clients not to call me if they wanted too. Here is something to think about though. Say I, or your taxidermist, has 200 mounts to do this year. If every one of those clients call to check in on their mount one time and spend just 15 minutes on the phone, that sets us back 50 hours. I've been trying to come up with some ideas that would save me time and keep the client in the loop. I've been thinking of something like twitter or a blog that I could update. Then all my clients could go to the site, look up their order number and find out current information on their mount.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Since I am a taxidermist , I don't really care if I am called to get an update, but to be called monthly for updates when I give a timeframe (12 months or so) it gets annoying.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Regular Visitor

My reponse to your question falls inline with chris and joe.
As a client, call or email anytime.
I do however promote and correspond frequently with email if possible.
clients can ask quesstions at their conveience and I can respond at my conveneince.
I also introduce clients to my office manager (wife). She makes a lot of calls to clients for m, she keeps them in the loop, verifies info about work, let's clients know when we are ready to order their supplies so they have an approximate completion date. Clients know they can talk to her, she is a valuable pcs of our shop puzzle.
We communicate alot.
Normally our clients don't have timeline or completion questions.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys for the advice. You have given me some good points to think about.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

if you are new to a taxidermist, i wouldnt hesitate to call...i've delt with the same guy now for 5 years.

im self employed and i dont frown on people calling and asking quesitons. "they" (you) have ever reason to call. doesnt hurt to "keep in touch". stay positive, dont sound grumpy. Niceness gets you further.

i'd ask hows work going. and not "where is my rug" most of the time they'll bring yours up after...and then you can jump in ask more detailed questions.

but thats how i'd go about it. like mentioned calling a guy up every two weeks, or month is annoying. specially if they gave you a time frame. i'd say calling NEAR the time frame is A-ok in my book.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I dont call until about a month before its due. If the taxi starts giving you the run around and telling you that it wont be done for a few more months, then I would call more often, and even show up. Just remember, if you pressure him/her to finsih it, you will get rushed work. If you have to wait alittle, you will enjoy it for a lifetime. On the other hand if it is rushed, you will curse at it every time you walk by it. Great taxidermists not only do great art, but have people skills. If you are new to the game, he/she will understand your calls.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM

is it paid for? if not drop by with a payment and ask about it. be brief, thank the man and go, letting him get back to work.

he will appreciate the payment and short conversation, everyone needs a brief break from work.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page