question..what would you do ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

question..what would you do ?

Ok here it is, I went 2 yrs ago out west for mt lion ended up trapping 2 PREMO BOB CATS and no lion... got back to PA and took them to a TOP END taxidermy that is one of the best on cats. told him that I want to redo my elk base to introduce the 2 bobcats below the elk.he said we would be in contact in a few mo.I have now picked up my deer head (6-8 mo later and said something then) I have also gone back out west and got a 160lb tom that has been in the freezer for the past yr. I stopped at his booth at the Harrisburg Farm Show and said something again, he wrote my name and phone number and said that he would call in a few weeks, that was if February. Would you ask him for bobcat hides back and take cats and lion else where .... What would you do ??? Keep in mind he is good on cats.
Thanks for your input
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 AM

Re: question..what would you do ?

Been there and done that....lesson learned and i will get my stuff back and go elsewhere...

Had a neat colored gray squirrel when i was 16 or so...saved up my money to get it mounted...took it to a taxi and he said about a year...no big deal....year and a half i called.."ahhh another couple months.." no big deal..2 years.."ahh a month or 2"..4 months later...ahh a couple weeks..2 months.."uhhh almost done"...after i think right around 3 years i get it baxk and its a wreck..i was so mad i took it and left...figured driving away his business would be punishment enough....and i wont let anyone i know go there...someone once told me it looks like it needs shot again...thats absolutely fair to say....its pretty scary looking...

If a taxi is honest and says well i got behind and my day job got busy or i had a heart attack or whatever i am FINE with that...beat around the bush and bruah me off and i aint happy....do a slap job and i aint happy...you dont wanna work on small game and low money critters do not take them in! I am seeing that more and more...they can slap deer heads together in a few months and make good money on them so thats their focus....

I dont care how good the guy is...there is someone better...i dont care about money or wait time as long as it looks great and you dont -- me...

If i was you i would highly consider getting your stuff back or going to the guys shop and talking face to face...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 AM
The Man

go get your hides back

2F for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 PM

I had a my first archery buck mount done in NJ. They said it would be about 9 months. I waited a year. When I called, it was gonna be 2 more months. Then it became 2 more months, then a few weeks. ended up being a year and a half and they made it seem like I was bothering them. All the while I was in the service in a mobile unit and explained to them I could deploy at any time or be possibly relocated to another state. They really did not seem to care. I would never use them again and badmouthed them to all I knew......they deserved it since they are located right next to 2 large military bases, so thier clientel wads mainly servicemen and women.

The last taxidermy shop I know went out of business. Bankrupt. All thoose people lost thier mounts. Piles of rotting mounts with maggots on them. Pretty sad.

I would collect your stuff and move on. I dont see bobcats and lions as something to take for granted.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racksquacks
Ok here it is, I went 2 yrs ago out west for mt lion ended up trapping 2 PREMO BOB CATS and no lion... got back to PA and took them to a TOP END taxidermy that is one of the best on cats. told him that I want to redo my elk base to introduce the 2 bobcats below the elk.he said we would be in contact in a few mo.I have now picked up my deer head (6-8 mo later and said something then) I have also gone back out west and got a 160lb tom that has been in the freezer for the past yr. I stopped at his booth at the Harrisburg Farm Show and said something again, he wrote my name and phone number and said that he would call in a few weeks, that was if February. Would you ask him for bobcat hides back and take cats and lion else where .... What would you do ??? Keep in mind he is good on cats.
Thanks for your input
Ryan
If he is a "TOP END" taxidermist and is "one of the best on cats" why would you NOT want him to do your cats? The best taxidermists in the state are the busiest and often have the longest wait times. If you want the quality and are concerned about how long you're waiting or his lack of returning a call go visit the studio personally and ask about your stuff.
I'm not defending the taxidermist in this case but if you wanted to take your wife out to dinner on your anniversary to the "best" restaurant would you get up and leave if the service wasn't "fast" enough or you had to wait for a table. Usually there is a reason for waiting.....Just sayin.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Were your conversations sort of casual, like yea I'd like to get them done soon, or when you get a chance to fit them in let me know? Or did you say I am ready now , what do I do next?

He may think you are not in a hurry or don't have the funds yet.

Maybe just call and say "can I send $$$ to get my bobcats started or put in the rotation".... That is if you have not already put a down payment on them. They may be waiting for a serious statement saying lets move forward with them.

I know Mike has people who save things at home they intend to get done and he knows about those projects but he waits for them to say, okay, now I am ready and they get put into the rotation from that point.

Keeping your dream alive, PTA life & UTA member, PAcert, State&Federal license
Mike&Jen Olszanowski
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What I would do is have this conversation with the taxidermist. Be honest and fair and tell him you would like the cats back by ??? time or you would like to have the hides back and that you sadly would need to take them elsewhere. Than ask him if that is acceptable--he will either say yes or no and you will have your answer. Sometimes things come up on both ends and a lil staight talk often is all that is required. Good luck and If it you need a new taxidermist I would take them to Ashley at critter creations in chambersburg.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks for the reply. yes i want a top end guy to do the work its not about the money it is all about the quality. he was the one that told me the the dates of when he would contact me, he has a 70% depo.both times we talked about the dates were face to face. trust me i want him to do the work cuz he is good, i have a flooring buisness and if i treated you as a customer like this you would take your money back and go to another flooring store.thats why im torn.....I met with Ashley at the Farm Show he is also very good
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 06:13 PM

i would wait and go see him in person, lay out the expectations. when it comes to cats, you want a "top end" taxidermist.

if they dont get the face right, its going to look bad no matter what.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL12
go get your hides back
I second that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page