taxidermy tips - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

taxidermy tips

If you can't afford to get it mounted don't bring it to us and pretend you can.
If you have work at a taxidermist now and something happened like you got layed off,divorced,lost your job etc. call us and ask if it could be delayed for a while. I think most of us would appreciate that a lot more than hearing after we mount it that you can't pay for it.
Contrary to popular belief most of us do not lead glamarous lifestyles nor are we independently wealthy.

It's not the size of the shop, it's the quality of the work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Re: taxidermy tips

I agree 100%! A mount is an investment and a contractual agreement that starts the second that you drop it off.
I think most good taxidermists would understand a life change and work out a payment plan with a respectful customer!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Agreed.

Every bird I bag is a beautiful poignant thing. - Charles Fergus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Most Taxi's I know take payments. I wait about a year for most of my stuff so I slowly chip away at it. 20 bucks a week or so and I'm usually payed up or have a small balance due.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I also take payments but few take advantage of that. I ask customers how they would like it if after working 60 hours that week on payday the boss comes out and says that he's going on vacation and he'll give you the money he has left over when he returns.

It's not the size of the shop, it's the quality of the work!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just listed a coyote ped mount on ebay that was supposed to be sold to a guy who bought a buck skull in for a euro. He still hasn't picked the skull up, nor any contact with me since august last year when he said he was going through a divorce- but only telling me after I completed the work. The coyote was just a spare I had for sale but I held it for him for quite a while.

Another unclaimed lot I have are furs with a balance of 870.00 due and a tanned soaked down lifesizable 5 foot black bear in the freezer worth at least 400.00 owed. The customer paid for his coyote with his deposit, and he did pick that up. He used to be prompt to pick up and always paid, but then he lost his job. I haven't heard a word from him since 2008 and pretty soon I'm going to see what all I have to do with the DNR, which I know involves a certified letter to his last known address with me stating he has xx days to pick up and pay in full or all this stuff becomes my property. I can sell the furs pretty easily, but not sure if I will get the price I charge for each, however I would still make something which is better than sitting on them and getting nothing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 AM

Gee. My problem is that since I am out of work when I had extra money from a sale I paid the balance on a boar skull I had given my taxi for a euro mount. I know full well he out source's his skull cleaning, but I like the work. When I stopped in and paid months ago he said it was done he just had to drive up and pick it up. Guess since he has his money it ain't convenient cause I still don't have it. Excuses every time I stop in. last one he gets from me

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My guess is that there are just as many dead beat customers as shotty taxidermists. It is a shame when quality taxidermists and legitimate customers get caught up in this. I told a taxidermist, that was talking about this same issue, to take a credit card number and if they don't pay charge the account. You get paid and then the credit card company goes after their money. Just make the policy known and part of the contract.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusiousSays
Gee. My problem is that since I am out of work when I had extra money from a sale I paid the balance on a boar skull I had given my taxi for a euro mount. I know full well he out source's his skull cleaning, but I like the work. When I stopped in and paid months ago he said it was done he just had to drive up and pick it up. Guess since he has his money it ain't convenient cause I still don't have it. Excuses every time I stop in. last one he gets from me
I dislike the taxy's that out source thier work. I come in to the shop and see his work and then when I bring an animal in someone else mounts it. Most of the time it is a person not licensed. I fell that they should tell you or maybe you should ask if HE mounts it himself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is one thing that scares me about going into this business but I think you can find people in every business that have this happen to them.

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page