What is eating all of my mounts?????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

What is eating all of my mounts??????

Hey guys and gals.....I need some help. I have noticed in the last year that something is eating my mounts ( deer, turkey, coyote, etc ) which are done by multiple taxidermists. The hair will just pull out of the deer in spots and the turkey mounts look as though the feathers are slipping in certain areas. Even the freeze dried turkey heads are crumbling when i touch them. I really need to take care of this problem but what or how do I stop this from happening. Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: What is eating all of my mounts??????

Dermestid/carpet beetles, VERY bad news when the evidence is visible.

http://www.millertrophyroom.com/

http://www.millertrophyroom.com/insects.html

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hey tundra I appreciate the info.... doesn't make me feel to good after reading "if you can see the damage it's to late"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Are you seeing little white/grey balls in clumpy things hooked to the loose fur? Or are you finding insect "husks" that look like fuzzy worms, under the mounts? Or both?

white/grey balls in fur clumps= fur moths

fuzzy wormy husks= dermestid beetle larvae ( carpet beetles)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

more so the fuzzy wormy husks... seems as though i can actually see like old larva shells in my freeze dried turkey heads
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

ya that is no good take care of that

ratpac
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 PM
The Man

spray them with bug killer, it works
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinTail
spray them with bug killer, it works
The bug killer idea only works if its done in three applications four weeks apart and it still does not address the real problem here. Killing the bugs on the mounts is not killing the entire population---you need to remove the "source" of the infestation here and kill all the larvae that haven't hatched yet.

Now for some questions for the OP here and please be honest. Do you have any "home taxidermy" items in your collection? These could be self done antler mounts, turkey tails, pheasant skins, salted skins (of anything) or even deer antlers cut off with the skull cap skin still attached.
Do you have dry dog or cat food stored indoors? How about bird seed?

If the OP answers "yes" to any of these questions he will have the source of his infestation. Dermestids make their way into almost every home on pet and human feet or in bags of dog food or bird seed. Once in the home they are going to seek out the easiest, quickest food source in that home. It is almost ALWAYS "home taxidermy" items like I just mentioned. Only after the easy stuff is eaten will dermestids attack properly done mounts. Properly tanned skins, boraxed birds and freeze dried turkey heads are not very attractive to dermestids but they will certainly eat them if that is all there is.

Solution???

Immendiately get rid of ALL home taxidermy items. Don't just put them in the garage---get rid of them. Store dog food and bird seed outside in a shed or box away from the house.
Finally, call a good, reputable exterminator. You need to remove ALL of the bugs---not just the ones on your mounts. They are living in your carpets, your curtains and your clothes. The only way to permanently get rid of them is to hire an exterminator.
If an exterminator is not an option for financial or other reasons you must, at the VERY LEAST, buy some bug bombs and follow the instructions exactly. You will need one "bomb" for every room in your house---larger rooms need two. You will need to do at least TWO "bombings" about 4 to 6 weeks apart to be completely rid of the infestation. Expensive? You bet! But, then again, so are the mounts you're currently feeding your resident bug population!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
The Man

True, a large scale infestation would require large scale remedy. I had found them on a skull cap that I never skinned(don't ask) after it was in my house for a year. They found their way in the house, into my living room and up onto the mantle. That was two years before I got my colony of beetles, so I know they didn't come from that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page