cat slipping? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

cat slipping?

Caught my first cat this year in December. My taxidermist just contacted me that he just skinned it and had some slipping on the eyes and face said not bad , but will see what happens after tanning. The day I trapped it was light rain, but about 35 degrees outside. I brought it home and froze it immidiately probably 2 hours after dispatch in bag and sucked all air out. It was damp, but not overly wet. What could I have done different? I might just get him to do a wall hanging for me if it is not going to look good with hair missing and hope for another next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

Re: cat slipping?

Only thing u could have done was take it to the taxidermist when it was fresh if possible?now I would have wiped it off with towels to get as much moisture off as possible. That being said felines and foxes are tufff to thaw out , because the face I the first area to thaw out besides the feet, giving a real good chance of slippage without the taxidermist taking extra care of that area, I use a chemical on all my animals when they are thawing to help stop the slippage, which works . Those are some steps that would have helped out in the slippage, now depending on how big the areas are your taxidermist should be able to blend in those areas so it does not show as much . Good luck and hope this helps out some
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The cat still had body heat, you placed it in a bag which acted like an insulator trapping the body heat . I tell everyone to place it in the freezer on a bag or peice of cardboard overnight, then put it in a bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Joe for the advice and sorry gitzit I did have it in the freezer on a board for a few hours to cool it before I bagged it up. Sorry I left that out. I read that before about furs to much heat with a fresh animal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page