Do It Your Self Euorpean Mount Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Do It Your Self Euorpean Mount Question

Found a dead buck the other day while out looking for sheds. I ended up skinning the head, and of course it stinks like no other. Do i let the skull sit outside until it is tolerable to deal with.(which ive done in the past, but it takes FOREVER) Or, should i boil it. my question is.....can u over boil the skull and make it brittle? What is the best combination that you have found when it comes to temperature and how long to keep the skull in the boiling water?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Or another considerations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Do It Your Self Euorpean Mount Question

i'm sure the HPA police will chime in on the legality of keeping a deer skull with horns but i have no problem with it.

anywho, you can buy a euro kit from van dykes taxidermy that has the boil stuff and the bleaching stuff. makes it real easy. you don't really boil them, more like simmer. i'd do it in a old 5 gallon can outside or something.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
The Man

Stick it in a bucket with water, and dawn dish soap............let it sit in there for a few days or a week or so......put it in a pot, and simmer it for a while.....yo dont really want to boil it....pick off any loose meat, and some will fall off of it anyways.......stick it back in a bucket with new water and dish soap, and repeat.........should only take a few times...

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
i'm sure the HPA police will chime in on the legality of keeping a deer skull with horns but i have no problem with it.

anywho, you can buy a euro kit from van dykes taxidermy that has the boil stuff and the bleaching stuff. makes it real easy. you don't really boil them, more like simmer. i'd do it in a old 5 gallon can outside or something.
I here ya....i thought long and hard about how to word my post. I just need a few answers....no bashing. Will see how this goes. Thanks for ur comment about the van dykes kit....didnt think about that!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Stick it in a bucket with water, and dawn dish soap............let it sit in there for a few days or a week or so......put it in a pot, and simmer it for a while.....yo dont really want to boil it....pick off any loose meat, and some will fall off of it anyways.......stick it back in a bucket with new water and dish soap, and repeat.........should only take a few times...
Sounds easy enough...appreciate ur post!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesCoBucknDuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Sounds easy enough...appreciate ur post!
It works really well, a taxidermist told me thats how he does it..........even when it is sittng in the bucket te dish soap is working on the meat, and dissolving it......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Check out the skull part on this site. It is good info and mine turned out great.
http://www.alanprobst.com/tv_show_page_2.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM

everything you wanted to know about doing a european mount and more, you can get it done in 5 hours too.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,125076.0.html

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page