deer cape ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

deer cape ?

guys i shot a big 10 point back in archery season and did not have the money to mount it since i was saving for my wedding.now that i am able to i was wondering if i could use a doe hide for the mount or if that would be to small in the neck area.or could it be strtched to fit the form.thanks for any help

some shoot archery,others perfect it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Part of the Community

Re: deer cape ?

My guess it that it would have to be a pretty big doe to make it look right. You can find people out there that might be selling or can gift you a hide. (ebay/taxidermy.com) Might be tough to find one now that the season is coming to a close but I'm pretty sure you you can get your hands on one. My buddy cuts up a lot of deer for people and I have seen many capes get tossed out. If you don't have any luck this year finding one shoot me a PM and I'm sure we can get you one next season.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Where in pa are u. Down my way there is a lot if deer still coming in the butcher shop. Ely's in bucks county has a bunch of buck and doe still coming in. You could sit at the drop off and I am sure a cut not keeping cape would be glad to give you one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Doe features are nothing like a buck, so unless u want a girly looking buck than no
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i'd wait for the right kinda cape. you saw your deer, so you can be the judge of "size". Most times a taxidermist should be able to find you one..but without measurements, its hard to say what size cape you want. If not the horns don't go bad. and maybe you'll shoot a decent sized buck(with not a big rack?lol) next year or sometime and want to use "your" deer for your ten point. rather then locating buying one.

i would not use a Doe for a buck ever.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've a spare that would work. It was taken early oct, 20" neck if I recall. You'd have to have me mount the deer or have me sell the cape to your taxidermist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page