Need advice on options - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Need advice on options

I have a deer mount that is now 6 years old and I have an issue with the ear. I recently moved my mounts around and now this ear is front and center and is kind of an eyesore.

Here is the deer:

As you can see, his right ear is pretty hairless. Not sure why I really haven't noticed this before or what the problem is.

Here are some close ups of the ear:

What can I do or have done to fix this? I have tried to find any info out there on the web and taxi forums but haven't found much. Saw a method that some use where they epoxy the bare area and then stick cotton on it until it dries and then pull it off so that new "hair" has grown there. Not sure if that would work for this situation though.

Just wondering of some of the experts here have any ideas of suggestions for fixing this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: Need advice on options

bump
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Banned

The whole ear needs some epoxy work and painted to make it look decent, it was not done properly the first time , you would not have the problem if it was .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

So just some epoxy work and paint will "fix" it? No need to add hair somehow from a donor ear or something? Thanks for the info and how much would you charge to fix this?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

From looking at the pic, I would not worry about the little bit of hair that is missing , on ocassion I get deer in with not alot of inside hairs , little areas with little to none , not sure why this is, but I am doing my wife's deer now and the right ear was scared up with missing hair probably from ticks? But back to your question some epoxy work blended and a lil paint job to both ears would cost $50 in my studio.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Trask....just a suggestion---take the deer back to the taxidermist that did the work originally. My deer come with practically a "lifetime warranty"---I have no problem fixing things like that on mounts I have done. However, I don't care to fix other taxidermist's work. All it needs is a little epoxy and some paint work and any taxidermist worth anything should have no problem fixing it---especially if he did the work originally.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

Same hear Paul, I hate fixing other taxidermists screw ups, but I have done them before , only after the original taxi could not fix it after three tries(lol)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page