De-greasing ?????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

De-greasing ??????

What is.."de-greasing??. I was looking up the Dermestid beetle and they talk about de-greasing a skull.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: De-greasing ??????

Soaking a skull in a mixture of dawn dish liquid and water. It takesthe grease fat out of the skulls which cause the yellowing spotches when whitened. Bear skulls take a lot of degreasing and might have to change liquid a couple times. My deer skulls I just did looked good after just 3 days of soaking. Some guys soak for a couple weeks. Probably another way, but dawn dish liquid works pretty good.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
The Man

Bears will never come out right without using other means. Soaking a bear skull in water long enough to get the grease out will cause it to fall apart. I've never had a deer look good enough after only 3 days of dawn and hot water, and that's using a much higher strength peroxide to whiten. The general basic rule of thumb is to change the water every other day until it stays clear for a day or two. Even then there are times I need to redo the degrease process after an initial whitening. Most people don't have the facilities to keep the water at 120 degrees continuously for that long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
The Man

I have used my dads heated pressure washer where he works to get the flesh off of mine. The soap he uses and the temperature really helps get the grease out of deeer skulls. Boil and add your bleaching agents makes nice easy euro. The one i did from 2009 still holding out.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For CT,

I've done a lot of my own skulls from a pretty wide variety of species including several black bear. The greasiest I have come across is Javelina. Question is does maceration ever create any grease issues? Below are 2 Javelina, right was boiled and is VERY greasy, left was 100% maceration. Neither have had any form of additional whitening, just solely boiled or macerated, no additional whitening or preserving treatments at all. The left has no grease at all.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Part of the Community

I have found that when you macerate, most of the grease comes out in the maceration process, and you dont need to degrease in dawn nearly as long. You want to stay away from the word "boil", as boiling is very hard on the bone. "simmering" is the way to go, if that is your method of choice. Degreasing a skull takes time, and as ChasinTail mentioned, bears take a long time. 3 days isnt long enough for me to degrease a deer skull, i am usually at 2 weeks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well this is my largest bear (21 3/16), just took it out of the freezer and gonna start to macerate it today, I'll see if it comes out as clean as the left Javelina.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM
The Man

I've never used maceration as I would like to get the skulls back to the customers in a timely manner AND not have 3 dozen tubs of rotting water/flesh sitting in the basement but I too have read that it helps immensely with the degreasing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Part of the Community

YEP...I have tried it, and won't do it again. Way to messy and stinky for me. Beetles and long soaks in the degreasing bucket for me ! My wife complains about my beetle room sometimes.....I couldn't imagine maceration buckets on top of that......!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 AM
The Man

I tell them it smells like money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page