Little Help!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Little Help!!

Ok So I am leaning towards going to taxidermy school to learn the trade. I have searched for them in PA and 3 come up for the west/central part of the state. Does anyone have a preference on what they feel is the best school? Price for two schools are about the same and they other is 4 times as much. I would plan to hopefully make this into a career and do it full time.

Thanks for the help!

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Little Help!!

I have heard some good things about the one in Ebensburg
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Part of the Community

I went to the Pennsylvania Institute of Taxidermy in Ebensburg. You will hear opinions that range all over the board about schools. My personal opinion is that it was well worth the money. I've heard that the classes were really big in the past. When I was there, there was never more than I think 12 students. From what I hear, some things have changed since I was there, about three years ago. Derrick is still there instructing, and he is one of the best instructors I've ever had at any school. I'm not sure if Dan is still teaching the business course, but that section alone was worth the money for me.

On a side note, even the best school will not automatically turn you into a great taxidermist, and you will get out of it what you put into it. If you decide to go, pay attention and ask questions if you have them. Having the instructor there in person is what I feel makes the schools so much better than videos. I was also able to understand and learn more from the videos after going to school.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mike went to the Pa Institute Of Taxidermy in Johnstown/Ebensburg. If Chuck is still a teacher there you will learn alot from him, he is great! He just knows how to explain things in an easy to understand way. The teachers have changed a bit over the years, so I don't know who is there now. (I think he is there now)

Keeping your dream alive, PTA life & UTA member, PAcert, State&Federal license
Mike&Jen Olszanowski
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Part of the Community

The last time I talked to Derrick, which was about maybe 6 months ago, Chuck was not teaching there. I will be going to the school in the next couple weeks and get some more information. Chuck sure can mount a bird.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNeffFCO
The last time I talked to Derrick, which was about maybe 6 months ago, Chuck was not teaching there. I will be going to the school in the next couple weeks and get some more information. Chuck sure can mount a bird.
we were writing at the same time ;o) it has been almost 13 years since mike was there (wow, cant believe it) derrik is very nice and dan is great too. it was a great "all around" education. then you can take one on one classes after you get out if you want to refine the basic skills in a certian area.

Keeping your dream alive, PTA life & UTA member, PAcert, State&Federal license
Mike&Jen Olszanowski
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

I too went to PIT , took alot of yrs off my learning self teaching with books and videos, two classes going with two instructors , Kent Stryker and Chuck Henry , the second half had Jason Snowberger and Derrick teaching also, what a great bunch of instructors .Less students would have been great as there were a total of 30 , great experience lots to learn and the learning never stops, good luck with whatever u do
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How long are classes?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Classes are 7 months in Ebensburg and about 13 weeks at the other schools.

Thanks for the input so far. I know PIT is a good school, I just wanted to see if price difference is a good justification.

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page