question about an apprentice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
The Man

question about an apprentice

Just wondering if any of you guys who have your own shops ever brought on apprentices. I have a few taxidermists in my area and was thinking about seeing if i could help them out in exchange for lessons. I know this is a busy time of year but if i could be taught how to flesh and tan hides i am sure this could speed up their process. I only want to learn for my personal interest right now.

I live in portage, cambria county. Any insite would help also any ideas on how to approach the taxidermist would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Re: question about an apprentice

Good luck in your quest. However, a LOT of taxidermists, myself included, have had bad experiences with apprentices that just wanted "to learn to flesh and tan hides". Also, a lot of us offer one on one training that we get paid for. Paying someone to hack up my skins so I have extra work to do on them when I should be the one getting paid is not something I intend to revisit any time soon.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
The Man

bowmike - all you can do is go and ask. Most might not be interested because they will think you are going to take business from them someday. I'm sure you will find a good guy who will help you out.

Don't get discouraged!

Genesis 27:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bowmike dont get discouraged. I feel certain that if you ask around your local taxi's, a few would take you under their wing for free. Maybe even do some predator hunting and get your own stuff. That way if you mess up on them, the taxi isnt out money.

If you have to pay anything to be an apprentice (having a Taxidermist teach you), save your money and go to an accredited school. Like most on here say, you get what you pay for, so spend the money on receiving real training...not some plain taxidermist

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the insite guys. I always wanted to do this as a hobby but with my schedule i could never fit it in. I have a secure job and i dont think i would ever be good enough to make money at it without training but i think i would be fun to do mounts for family and such. Not to mention my self. Still kicking around the idea.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
The Man

Mike - before you get slammed on here, make sure you send in your $100, so you are legal.

I've always wanted to do the exact same thing you are venturing into doing. I hope you can follow through with it, though. I never had / have the time.

At the time I was interested, I stopped at a taxi's house and he wouldn't give me three seconds of his time. Guess who I wouldn't think about taking an animal to now? I have a taxi now who would help me out, if I wanted.

Genesis 27:3
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM

Mike, my nieces husband apprenticed for quite a few years, and finally opened up his own shop in NJ. He's doin good so far!

Good luck!

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

i have done 2 euro mounts and love them. I think i would do well at it but just need a start. I feel i would get discouraged by trying to do it by the videos and such

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page