Deer Hide Tanning Novice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Deer Hide Tanning Novice

I am new to the site and new to the idea of hide tanning -- it is simply something I have never considered until now (in fact, I have zero personal experience with taxidermy other than admiring the work of others). My daughter shot her first deer this year, it was a doe and she would like to have the hide tanned. I am looking for advice regarding all that I should consider when I contact a taxidermist so that I don't waste his time -- starting with the most basic issues. For example, if we tan the hide with the hair on it, will the hair simply fall out over time or would it be relatively durable? What are some of the pros/cons of tanning with the hair on versus prodcuing buckskin? I am assuming that either could be displayed on a wall, for example, but buckskin could also be made into another product -- are there other uses for a hide with the hair on it besides display on the wall? To display a hide on the wall, will I need some sort of frame to keep the hide stretched while on display? Will different professionals produce very different results in terms of quality, or is tanning so straightforward that I should expect the same results from anyone? I know that I will need to talk through these questions with a taxidermist, but, again, I would like to save him some time if I can think about some of these things in advance. Please don't limit yourselves to the questions I have asked -- I would appreciate any advice or comments you could offer! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page