How much does a rack shrink? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

How much does a rack shrink?

Exactly how much does a whitetail rack shrink during the 60-day drying period?

I had a deer shot in early October that scored 128 5/8". Just wondering if it will still make the 125" min for P&Y after it dries?

In the wind, he's still alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Re: How much does a rack shrink?

A LOT of that depends on how it was stored and the antlers themselves. Antlers stored hanging over a pipe or 2X4 will shrink a FRIGHTENING amount. Antlers laying flat on the floor--not much at all.

FWIW....just because YOU or someone else green scored it at 128 5/8 doesn't mean the "Official" scorer will come up with similar numbers. I've seen some real head scratchers over the years. Didn't want you to be too disappointed if it doesn't make it as it sounds like a great buck regardless.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Interesting! Thanks!

In the wind, he's still alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
The Man

my brother took a 6 last year with a 21 inch spread, his spread alone shrunk more than an inch.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I shot an 8 point in 2003 that had a 17" inside spread. Took the buck to the taxidermist and he stored the rack across a 2x4 the way Paul C had mentioned. When I got the buck back the next year it didnt even look like the same rack. Spread shrunk from 17" to 14.5". Needless to say I never went back to this taxidermist!

If you plant it, they will come!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehead
I shot an 8 point in 2003 that had a 17" inside spread. Took the buck to the taxidermist and he stored the rack across a 2x4 the way Paul C had mentioned. When I got the buck back the next year it didnt even look like the same rack. Spread shrunk from 17" to 14.5". Needless to say I never went back to this taxidermist!
LOL...I could probably name the taxidermist. There are several in this area that store antlers like that and I get new clients from them every year and that is one of the complaints.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 PM

I shot a buck in 2006...I did not have the money to get it mounted at the time so I wrapped the head and cape up in a double layer of garbage bags and stuck it in the freezer.

A year and a half later, I got to talking to a guy that does taxidermy on the side. He quoted me a price....I drug the critter out of the freezer. He had some family and health problems over the next year or so.....But I finally got it back nearly 3 years after It was killed.

I don't care about score but my buddy scored it when it was fresh (green). The taxidermist scored it when it was mounted. Both scores were within 5/8 of an inch.

My buddy and I measured the inside spread at 16 inches even....3 years later it measured 15 7/8. The Tip-to-Tip spread never changed.......Still 3 1/8.

Maybe..............Just toss it in the freezer and forget about it to minimize shrinkage It worked for me.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Part of the Community

What is it about storing them on a board that makes them shrink more? Do younger deer shrink more? I have a young 8 that I shot and it shrunk quite a bit, and I had an old 12 of a clients that didn't seem to shrink at all, same with an older 8 of a clients. At least the spread didn't shrink at all within about a years time. I think my young 8's spread has shrunk an inch to inch and a half.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You will lose 1% of your mass.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNeffFCO
What is it about storing them on a board that makes them shrink more? Do younger deer shrink more? I have a young 8 that I shot and it shrunk quite a bit, and I had an old 12 of a clients that didn't seem to shrink at all, same with an older 8 of a clients. At least the spread didn't shrink at all within about a years time. I think my young 8's spread has shrunk an inch to inch and a half.
The next time you cut a set of antlers off Chris push the beams toward each other and see how much the skull plate flexes. When a skull is fresh the sutures in the skull are very weak and pliable. If you store a fresh rack with the skull plate resting on a 2X4 with the beams hanging down the weight of the beams themselves will pull the sutures apart and shrink the spread. Some shrink more than others but they ALL shrink if stored like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page