• 2 Post By loridr
  • 1 Post By TrapDoc57
  • 3 Post By Loggy
  • 1 Post By TrapDoc57

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Good coyote for taxidermist?

I don't own and will never own a mount. I just tan stuff I want to keep. Does anybody think this coyote would sell to a taxidermist? I'm trying to sell nice specimens that I trap to pay for some of the gas and equipment. I've skinned more coyotes with feet on that not. I think I am good enough to do a taxidermy skin myself. Do I cut it up the stomach or just case? I usually skin the feet out first then just yank them through when I get to the front lets. I only make my incision from the pad to the elbow. Do taxidermist go from the toes to inside of pad and up to elbow? Any info is appreciated. If nothing else I'll send him to be tanned professionally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191108_112658_1573243436169.jpg (1.19 MB, 30 views)
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:43 PM

I would imagine you would skin it like you would a deer. I am guessing cause I never skinned anything. someone should be able to help you out on here
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

OK so I watched a YouTube video and I think I'm going to just do a full case skin on the coyote. I just skinned the other one and she pealed nice with no green belly. The big raccoon I got in the dark this morning appears to be a black raccoon. I didn't really notice because the little raccoon was so light. Almost blonde with a pale belly. I can't post the picture at the moment but it is in the trapping forum.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:36 AM

i would ask the taxidermist if they want you to skin it. some animals are skinned in different ways depending on what position the mount is going to be. the position helps hide the incision.

if anyone happens to have a squirrel mounted climbing up or down a tree take a good look at the belly side, use a flashlight if you have to. some of them arent even sewn shut, just stapled to the form and you dont even know it as the belly incision doesnt show. just like a one sided wall mount fish, ever see the back, most arent finished, just stapled and closed over with bondo then painted black and only one eye installed on the show side.

if you skin the coyote the wrong way, it could be worthless to the taxidermist. ask first, maybe the taxidermist, just wants it whole.

also, if you can not get it to the taxidermist right away, do not leave it lay around, get it home and in the freezer, do not place it in a plastic bag until it is cool, the bag will lock in the heat and cause it have some hair slippage.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM

good advice bohunr
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 AM
The Man

Other than mounting for his own display or possibly to enter in a contest, not sure why a taxidermist would be interested in buying a pelt to mount as they are not permitted by law to sell mounts in Pennsylvania.
bohunr and Laylow like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the advice. I case skinned it with the feet on and rolled it up and froze it after it chilled. I did all that the day I got it and let the skin cool before I rolled and froze it. It's such a nice coyote i will probably just tan it for a wall hanger. Same with the black raccoon. I skinned it with the feet on too.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage

Nice yote!! Certainly looks like a wall hanger candidate to me!!

Here's one I took to my taxi:

bohunr, loridr and .257 like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 11-15-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: ......added pic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Nice yote Loggy. I wish they all looked like that. I have decided to keep mine and the black raccoon I got. I made a new pickle to put the black coon in. I have my last 2 beavers from last season in my other pickle. I've been doing all my own tanning with great success. The coon are easy but I've had some coyotes tails slip and right where I shot them as well. Maybe I better just send my coyote to the tanner. It's a risk either way. I might never see it again but I might screw it up. I think the tails stayed wet to long (they were caught in the freezing mud slop last season) but I don't know why it slips around the bullet hole. Anybody know?
Loggy likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM

blood and bacteria would be my guess.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page