Last years spring gobbler ??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Last years spring gobbler ???

Well it's been 16 months since I dropped of my MD gobbler for a full strutting mount... I know of 2 others who had taken Pa gobblers from the same spring..one of which was his 1st EVER turkey to be done in a breast mount. Here are the excuse..... I was in the hospital because I got mainge (sp), my grandmother is in the hospital, I now have epilepsy (sp) had siezures and almost died. Now the Dr took my drivers license and I cant't drive. Why do you need to drive?? the shop is in your house? Oh the birds are at my brothers house? Oh , the birds are at my taxi instructors place in Bedford Co. And I have to get my license back to go get them. But I see you driving all around Newville??? Now.... He has had a stroke?? But the funny thing.. He had NO trouble hunting and trapping last fall?? And yes Beagleman... It IS zebra man.... Note to all... STAY AWAY!! I'm guessing I'm out the $200. deposit? Rumers were flying that his freezer went out and he lost everything in it including the turkeys he had..He said that wasn't true but now I don't know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 PM

Re: Last years spring gobbler ???

wow, that stinks man. I hope you at least get your $$ back, but I for one would sink money into a lawsuit just to teach this dude a lesson if he had one of my animals.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Regular Visitor

I am an experienced taxidermist.....the first thing you need to do is find out if he still has your bird. Even if you have to drive and get it. Try to get it back if it's at all possible. I'd then find a reputable, seasoned taxidermist to deal with. I'd say from what I read that it's going to be rough getting any money out of this "wannabe" taxidermist, but possible try to save/find your bird. Tell the two others also. It just soils the industrys reputation when stuff like this happens, burns my keester.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am one of the other gentleman who took a bird to him. I have heard all the rumors that bburg listed and some. I cant tell you how many times I've been told it will be done in two weeks. Then a month or so goes by and nothing not even a call to say he is getting behind. I started with getting my bird in full strutt, but after talking to him and saying he never did a full strutt before I changed mine to a easy breast mount which he said he could do. I didnt want to pay $400+ for an ugly full strutter. Im starting to think I lost my deposit also. Its a shame as this was a really good bearded bird and all I have is a picture of him. No beard or spurs...

- Elite Impulse 31. Qad hdx. Axcel Accutouch. Stokerized Stasis.
I am a Bone Collector-- R U??
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabowhuntR
I am one of the other gentleman who took a bird to him. I have heard all the rumors that bburg listed and some. I cant tell you how many times I've been told it will be done in two weeks. Then a month or so goes by and nothing not even a call to say he is getting behind. I started with getting my bird in full strutt, but after talking to him and saying he never did a full strutt before I changed mine to a easy breast mount which he said he could do. I didnt want to pay $400+ for an ugly full strutter. Im starting to think I lost my deposit also. Its a shame as this was a really good bearded bird and all I have is a picture of him. No beard or spurs...
Please don't take this wrong but I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who would take a trophy gobbler to a taxidermist and, after being told by the taxidermist HIMSELF that he was no good at turkeys, would actually still leave it there!
A little bit of research would eliminate most of the problems we hear about on here. Take a little time and visit some studios---don't just take your friend's word for it (unless he is paying for it). Take the time to actually engage the taxidermist in an interview type situation and find out his/her qualifications. If they tell you they are not good at something DO NOT leave it there. If you choose to leave it there because he/she was "cheap" well.......STUPID SHOULD HURT!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

It was months till he told us he never did a full strutt before. Its not that he was cheap. I mainly went there because we were coworkers in the past and I wanted to give him some business and try him out. I seen some deer and ducks and stuff he was doing and it all looked alright. Figured I would try him on a turkey

- Elite Impulse 31. Qad hdx. Axcel Accutouch. Stokerized Stasis.
I am a Bone Collector-- R U??
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Paul C .. I too have known this guy for a long time... He statd to me he had never done a turkey.. but said he would be able to do a full strut.. even if he had to take it to the guy who taught him.. I saw all of his other mounts that were as good as some I've seen on here.. deer, bear, ducks, fish, coyotes, and foxes... I stated that I would GIVE HIM A CHANCE.... and if it looked good I would let him display it when ever he wanted too. He assured me he would do his best.. and that his painting is his BEST work!! I don't think we were being STUPID by giving a new taxi a shot at doing our turkeys... We just wanted something in return.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabowhuntR
It was months till he told us he never did a full strutt before. Its not that he was cheap. I mainly went there because we were coworkers in the past and I wanted to give him some business and try him out. I seen some deer and ducks and stuff he was doing and it all looked alright. Figured I would try him on a turkey
I didn't mean to imply that you guys were "stupid" but more that the ACT of leaving a prized trophy with someone who admits to having little experience with them was stupid. If you wanted to "give him a shot" that's fine----but you really can't complain when he fails to deliver. You knew going into it that he lacked experience and "would do his best"--I guess you now know what his "best" is.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

That's the truth!! ya give a guy a chance..... lesson learned!!! I'm starting to wonder of the mounts he has in his shop were done by him???? I guess anyone can buy some nice mounts ans say... " I did these " All I want is the truth.. did your freezer go out? did you loose everything in it?? If I cant get my bird can I get my deposit back? I have other turkey mounts and I'll get other turkeys.. I feel bad for the 1 guy it was his first bird EVER... he has NOTHING to show for it but pictures!! This guy was robbed of a very wonderfull memory.. I'd rather the guy just say " hey maybe you should take them someplace else" I'm not as mad that I haven't gotten my bird back I'm mad because I'm out $200. I was willing to give the guy a shot at a turkey. Am I allowed to mention the name of the buisness?? I don't want to see anyone else get ripped off!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM

We hear about this all the time. In fact, when I was President of the PTA I would get no fewer than 4 calls a month from people just like yourself wanting some resolution to an ugly situation.
Do you have a contract? Do you have a receipt for the money you gave him? If so, the District Magistrate would be happy to hear your case and award you the money you are owed. However, without a contract or a receipt its your word against his.
Try sending him a Certified letter and politely explain that you would like your bird and your money back because he has failed to deliver as promised. Give him 10 days to respond. On the 12th day take the receipt for your Certified letter, your receipt from him and go to your local District Magistrate's office and file the suit.

Good luck.
Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page