Skull Mount Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Skull Mount Question

My nephew was lucky enough to connect on a spike buck his first morning ever hunting. It was a great day and one that we'll all remember, but I want to preserve the memory in a nice way for him, so I'm going to do a skull mount of the spike. I've done this on my own before with a decent 6 point I killed a few years back in archery.

My question is, when I did mine, the antlers seemed to work pefectly to hold the skull at the top of the pot and I was able to keep the water level in the pot boiling just to the base of the antlers. That won't be possible with the spike and I'm concerned that submerging the anters in the bioling water may cause some discoloration.

Can anyone confirm if that will cause a problem or not, and if it would, does anyone have any suggestions how to boil the skull and not submerge the antlers?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

PassThruArchery
Give 'em the double fore-arm shiver!!!

http://www.camospace.com/PassThruArchery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM
The Man

Re: Skull Mount Question

You could zip tie a rod/arrow across the antlers to keep them at a certain level, with the rod sitting on the edge of the pot. Getting the antlers into that hot of water may discolor them. If you choose to go that route and they do discolor, a little bit of wood stain make 'em pretty again
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Skull Mount Question

Some taxidermy supply companies sell antler stain which may cost more money, but do the same thing as what ChasinTail recommended.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page