Amateur Skull Cleaner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Amateur Skull Cleaner

I am looking for a couple of deer skulls to feed to my beetles. I am trying to start my own skull cleaning business. I have cleaned a pheasent and turkey skull so far and they came out nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM
The Man

Re: Amateur Skull Cleaner

You could always pick up a road kill varmint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffis83
I am looking for a couple of deer skulls to feed to my beetles. I am trying to start my own skull cleaning business. I have cleaned a pheasent and turkey skull so far and they came out nice. I am located in Wilkes-Barre. I will do the first couple of skulls at cost of the cleaning supplies.($15) I am looking for small bucks or does. So if they do not come out perfect you wont be disappointed.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Funny u say that i was just looking at a squirel road kill. I wold practice on my own but i was not fortunate enough to kill anything in archery. Next monday starts a new season so hopefully i will be able to practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've got a B&C bear skull that I would like done. Brain/eyes and most meat removed, mostly scraped clean. I used to have my own beetles and there isn't much that can get screwed up, other than killin the beetles.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Griffis, keep in mind that if you are going to accept money from anyone for doing skulls it is considered "commercial taxidermy" and you will need a taxidermy license from the PA Dept. of Ag.
You can go to the PTA website for more info and the PDAG contact info.....www.pataxidermy.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
The Man

Actually, that is incorrect under certain circumstances. You do not need a taxi license if all you do is clean skulls. If you mount them, then it is considered taxidermy. Or, if you even go so far as to refer to your work as taxidermy. I've already looked into it and the info can be found here:

http://www.pataxidermy.com/Bulletin-...RS-011807.html
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Part of the Community

Keep in mind that you are not allowed to do business on here either. I was scolded for that not long ago.

PTA CERTIFIED TAXIDERMIST
Member of PTA and Vice Pres
PA Taxidermy and Fed license.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM
The Man

That is correct.
I would guess that a post such as this asking basically for "donations" is borderline but considering the topic of only 2 posts is dealing with it, thats a bit touchy. Also, listing yourself in your profile as "skull taxidermy" opens you up to needing that license.

Feed the bugs leftover meat off the table or outdated venison. Roadkill is bad news and just asking to kill your colony.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

All im asking is for you to buy the cleaning supplies needed to degrease and whiten the dkull.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM

You might want to read Dr. Kneppley's response again there Chasin Tail. If you are cleaning skulls for others with the "intent of displaying them" you need a license. Reading your posts and the posts of other skull cleaners on this Board I find it very hard to believe that you are cleaning them simply for the joy of doing so. You are cleaning them so that they may be displayed and for that you need a Taxidermy License and need to be charging and paying Sales Tax. To my knowledge, only museum technicians using dermestids to clean bones for study are exempt.
I was on the Committee that worked out the rules for Taxidermy with the PA Dept. of Agriculture and that was one of the issues that we worked very hard on. With CWD becoming a reality in many parts of the country the PDA and the PGC are very concerned about it coming into PA. Since, as a skull cleaner, you are dealing directly with the chief vector for the disease (brain, spine and eye tissue) it is critical for the PDA to be able to track any possible sources of CWD coming into the Commonwealth. Licensing is how this is done.
If you have already contacted the PDA directly and been told that you can provide a skull cleaning service and not have a license or have to charge Sales Tax then so be it. But, if you are cleaning skulls for others and charging for that service you are doing it so that they may display them and that, according to the Rules, requires you to have a Taxidermy License and a Sales Tax license.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page