Time & MOney Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Time & MOney Question

So I shot a 10 pt on the first day of rifle season in 2008, he wasn't a monster so I didn't want to spend a fortune. I took it to a taxidermist who appears to do good work for reasonable rates. Well here we are approaching the first day again and I don't have it back. He told me it would be done by the summer (08) but when it wasn't done by June I gave him benefit of the doubt and let it go. Finally I called the guy in August and asked him what was going on. He called me back and left a message that he had a problem with his eyes (he is diebetic) but he is perfectly fine now and it will be done soon. Well still haven't heard from him but I also have not had time to get on his case either. My question is if I call the guy and he says it is done come get it do you think I should still pay 100% of the remaining $150 I owe on it (I paid him half to do the work). I guess I am just asking opinons on this. I guess I just don't think it is fair that he probably expects 100% of the money but I had to wait an extra 6 months for the job.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Time & MOney Question

Yeah you still pay him the price you agreed on.Why would you think otherwise?The guy had a legit reason for the delay and truthfully most taxi's will tell you the wait is 12-18 months.I understand where you are coming from but I still think you need to pay full price,UNLESS he would tell you otherwise.JMHO.
Jim
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Part of the Community

Another 300 dollar deer guy. This is what happens when you shop for price. I'm not saying he will do bad work, but he can't afford to deer at those prices. He probably got more than he could handle and is fed up with not making any money.
Yes you should pay the entire amount you owe him.

PTA CERTIFIED TAXIDERMIST
Member of PTA and Vice Pres
PA Taxidermy and Fed license.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Part of the Community

Seems like when I take a car to the mechanic it often takes longer than they originally say it will. It happens.

It also seems like when a taxidermy project takes alot longer than I expected it to it's because I'm putting more time into it than I originally expected. Hopefully when it is completed you'll be able to enjoy it for a long time and it would have been worth the wait.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:30 AM

My current taxidermist takes about a year. He is not real cheap but does great work. He does mounts as a second business. Hopefully your guy is doing a better job since he is taking more time.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Regular Visitor

where in writing does it say what to charge for deer heads. doing a deer head for 300 makes a profit of over 150. 2 a day is a profit of 300. Guy down the road charges 600, worst deer i ever seen. it goes both ways
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremont
where in writing does it say what to charge for deer heads. doing a deer head for 300 makes a profit of over 150. 2 a day is a profit of 300. Guy down the road charges 600, worst deer i ever seen. it goes both ways
Your math is WAY OFF
It's not in writing, but if you knew how to run a business you would know that your math is wrong.
Lets see....What about paying light bill, heat, air, water, sewer, mortgage,taxes,insurance health and business ... and maybe yourself if there is anything left. Recheck your math.
I have a degree in business management and I can tell you your #'s don't add up.
At that price you would be making about 5 dollars an hour or less in most shops. That is why those cheap guys don't last long.
Go look at the work, ask for references then make decision on where to go. You may be willing to wait a little longer for a guy that does quality work. Yeah it may go both ways, but you do have the OPTION to shop around for both Price and Quality.

PTA CERTIFIED TAXIDERMIST
Member of PTA and Vice Pres
PA Taxidermy and Fed license.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC
Another 300 dollar deer guy. This is what happens when you shop for price. I'm not saying he will do bad work, but he can't afford to deer at those prices. He probably got more than he could handle and is fed up with not making any money.
Yes you should pay the entire amount you owe him.
What are you charging for your deer heads? Just curious... I understand if you don't want to answer. Just wondering.

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Part of the Community

Some taxidermists believe that taxidermy items are luxury items and that we should be targeting people who drive hummers and cadillacs. If I did that I would have no customers. Some people are willing to work longer and harder than others to get there bills paid. Shop around, you can find good quality taxidermists with reasonable prices.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Taxidermy is a luxury item tegardless of the cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page