What should i do?????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What should i do??????

SO.....

I call the taxidermist, who is doing my archery buck, from this past year, yesterday. I kept the antlers at my house (thank goodness) and was going to deliver them to him, when he got my cape back.

To back up: The day I dropped off my cape / antlers, I paid for all of the mount but $50.00. Reason being, he said he would get it done quicker for me. I even offered to pay additional; since, he usually waits and sends all of his capes away at once. Obviously, he didn't send my cape or others he had away until after rifle season.

Yesterday, I call and ask him if he's ready for my antlers yet. He says, "Oh, yeah. I'm ready for them, but I do not have the money to send away and get the capes."

I was like, "What do you mean?"

He says, "Times are tough. I didn't get any turkeys this year. The streams have been too high and haven't got any fish. People owe me money and won't pay. I got stuck with this and that...... My house payment was due yesterday and I couldn't make the payment."

WOW!!! I basically was speechless and didn't know what to say. I and you all know what I could have said, "That isn't my problem, blaaaa blaaa blaaa". It wouldn't have got me anywhere.

There were other things that were said and I'm not even going to go there.

Here are a few questions to you guys / gals:
1. Could he call the tannery and ask for a specific cape to be sent back to him? I want my deer and would pay to have MY cape sent back. I know I shouldn't have to do this, but the buck is a once in a lifetime deer.

2. If I could find out which tannery he uses, could I call and get my cape sent to me? I know I would have to pay for it and would be out $300+ (I already paid). I then, could take the cape to another taxi and have it done.

3. How much is a replacement cape? To me, MY cape is priceless and it wouldn't be the same if I had someone elses cape, but if worse comes to worse - I may not have a choice.

4. How long will a tannery hold capes before they a.) get rid of them or b.) sell them? He told me the capes have been done since April????

Thanks for your opinions guys / gals. I am sick to the stomach right now, thinking of this situation.

Lesson learned.

Genesis 27:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Re: What should i do??????

First, I remember someone on here telling you about a taxidermist who does his own tanning, does excellent work and has a turn around time of around 2-3 months on deer...wish I could remember who that was

anyway, there is NO excuse for a taxidermist to not have the money to get back what is not even theirs, especially since you already paid most of the fee! I'd give him one more call and politely tell him that he has "X" weeks to get the hide back or he will be seeing legal documents coming his way. You are fortunate to have shot a VERY unique buck and there is no way they can fake that hide You'll know if it is the correct one.
Give him the "x" number of weeks and then open a civil case if need be. Then, when you finally get your cape, take it to someone reputable and plaster this low life's name on the boards so that no one else falls victim to his inability to budget, even when money was already in hand.

I wish you the best.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hope someone on here can give you some guidence about this. I personally have no clue about the situation but i wish you the best as well. I remember the "unicorn" pic you posted and I hope everything turns for the best for ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Ken,

also, if you want to talk to a reputable taxidermist about this for some guidance, let me know and I"ll get u in touch with Randy.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
First, I remember someone on here telling you about a taxidermist who does his own tanning, does excellent work and has a turn around time of around 2-3 months on deer...wish I could remember who that was
YEAH! I remember, so what is your point!?!??!?!

5c - you are correct. It is "Unicorn" and I would be devastated if things go South even further than they already have on my mount.

I read through a couple other posts, which contained other bad instances. From what I could tell, at this point in the game, I would not really have a stance. It hasn't even been a year yet. Normally, I'm guessing someone (taxi) wouldn't tell me the things he told me. In other words, most probably would have said they didn't get the capes back yet. Not, "I don't have the money to send away for the capes to be returned."

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4c_game_chaser
Ken,

also, if you want to talk to a reputable taxidermist about this for some guidance, let me know and I"ll get u in touch with Randy.
I actually talked to the taxidermist who has my coyote last night. He is doing some digging for me, but I will definitely keep your offer in mind. I think if I do enough investigating, I could find out the tannery name with which he uses and call them directly and see what I can do.

Things may turn around and he gets the capes. I can only hope.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
New Arrival

I don't want you to lose the money you already put down; so taking the hide to someone else at this point could be a lost cause. BUT with that being said, if another taxidermist knows anything about you, they should realize that with your killing efficiency you should be considered a life-long customer... so maybe they'll finish your deer for a minimal fee (?).

Opening a civil lawsuit will likely cost you even more $.

Like you said, it's only June and now that he was upfront with you as to what's going on, you can only hope he'll be that much more determined to get your hide back. Worst case scenario maybe you can contact the tannery and explain your case. But even then they may require you to at least pay what it cost them to tan your hide before they send it back. All in all, a very messy situation that you don't deserve to be in.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

8-points... yep, I agree. I realize I would have to pay their fee, but as much as this mount means to me; I would do it. It stinks, but what can you do?

I do somewhat feel bad for the guy. I wouldn't be human, if I didn't. He has hit a tough time with the economy, as have many other people BUT.....

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

is this zebra man? because he is a B.Ser like the guy your talking about.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The tanneries do not have any idea whos capes they are, they don't have names on them usually we use numbers not name tags. Be glad you still have your horns. Look for another cape and take it to a reputable taxidermist not the cheapest.

It's not the size of the shop, it's the quality of the work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page