Never got my mount.... 2009! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Never got my mount.... 2009!

I have an issue, and I need some suggestions on what to do. I had this guy do a head for me before without any problems, so I dropped another off in 2009. He has been giving me the run around for over a year now, and i'm at the end of my rope with him. I gave him a $200 when I dropped it off in '09. His last excuse was that he was in a car wreck and is now on workers comp, and cannot do any work because they might see him and stop his checks. I haven't talked to him since winter, and I'm really POed. What would be the best action to take? please don't say go and whoop on him, even though I would like to. I'm done negotiating, I want my head, or my head and money back NOW!If I took him to the magistrate would there be any fees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 AM
The Man

Re: Never got my mount.... 2009!

i would ask for all your property and a full refund.

then whoop on him ! just kiddin...

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 AM
The Man

You can pursue him civilly but, absent a written contract with him, you may have a difficult time convincing the DM the taxidermist has breached anything without testimony from another taxidermist as to the time frame he/she customarily finishes deer head mounts....the DM's office will help you complete a subpoena if the taxidermist witness is unwilling to appear on his own....needless to say, it would behoove you to locate a taxidermist who is willing to testify on your behalf....

There is a fee you must pay to file a complaint through the DM....it is included in the amount of damages you are seeking....also, ask for your head to be produced and returned at the hearing if you go the DM route....he may be unable to produce it and, if so, then criminal charges through the PD can be sought..Bring all evidence you have to the hearing (photos of the deer, friends/family to testify if they were with you when you dropped it off at the taxidermist, etc.)

The DM will likely be sympathetic to the guy's health issues so don't expect anything other than a firm date for completion of your mount....I would also compel the taxidermist, via a subpoena duces tecum (DM's office will help you prepare that), to bring all his records from the time you dropped your head off as evidence of his activity since then. You may find he is doing this to other people (likely)....make him squirm....

Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
The Man

wow, that stinks. I have had a few issues.
Took a guy 4 yrs to finish my bear. Excuses everytime I called. Just stayed on him monthly. Another guy told me less then a year for a deer. Took him almost 3yrs. Again, kept pestering. Wont go back to either. I'd say try and get your mount back, and some of the deposit. Worse case get the mount and go elsewhere. Spread the word to stay away.

Good luck!

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Have you gone to his place and just flat out ask for your mount and money back???? More then likely he didn't even start any work on the mount or something happened to it if this amount of time has passed.

If it were I,I would go to his place and tell him you want the mount and your money back and stand there till he gives it to you.

Also how can he get workers comp if he was in a car wreck??? I thought you had to be injured <u>on the job</u> to get workers comp.Maybe I'm wrong... Does he work somewhere else and was he on work time when he wrecked?? The comment he made about
" he is on workers comp, and cannot do any work because they might see him and stop his checks"
That sounds to me that he is saying he could do the work but doesn't want to risk getting caught and W/C stopping his checks.
Sounds like he's milking the system.Have you seen him since he was in the car wreck?? Is he really hurt?

I get so sick of people jerking other people around.
I bought a brand new lever action a few months back for 1500.00 and it jammed from day one,took it back to the shop I bought it from and got excuses for 4 months why it wasn't fixed,ex..."oh the company won't take my calls" or "I left them messages and they don't call me back"
Finally I made one last phone call and said he can deal with my attorney,I had a full refund check in the mail in 2 days.
Hope it works out for you.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

sounds like zebra man out of cumberland co. he gives you the run around. he takes till eternity to complete the work, or he flat out ruins the hides in the home tanning process. he is always full of excuses as to why the work is not done.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Taking the taxidermist to court in the manner that Winbob suggested could prove very embarrassing for you. NO taxidermist can testify as to the return time of another taxidermist and the courts will not even consider return time unless it is specifically stated in a signed contract. Visit the taxidermist IN PERSON and politely ask for your stuff back. You may or may not get your deposit back--it will all depend on your contract with him (or lack therof).

Taking him to court without visiting him in person in an attempt to resolve the situation FIRST will never be looked at favorably by any judge. And if the injuries he sustained are real and substantive you could find yourself on the business end of a lecture by the judge for being so "callous and inconsiderate"--- I've seen it happen...LOL.

Good luck.
Paul
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

He drives school bus part time and that is where the accident occured. From what he told me it was some type of back injury, but by looking at him he looked and walked fine. I've pretty much given hinm the benifit of the doubt, but this time around I want my head and money. I'm not waiting any longer. I'm gonna state my demands, and give him two weeks. If he doesn't come thru, then I'm gonna file some legal action. I don't want him to do it even if healthy, I just want my head back so I can take it to my new guy who is top notch.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co._Archer
He drives school bus part time and that is where the accident occured. From what he told me it was some type of back injury, but by looking at him he looked and walked fine. I've pretty much given hinm the benifit of the doubt, but this time around I want my head and money. I'm not waiting any longer. I'm gonna state my demands, and give him two weeks. If he doesn't come thru, then I'm gonna file some legal action. I don't want him to do it even if healthy, I just want my head back so I can take it to my new guy who is top notch.
And that's exactly what you should do. Simply state to him exactly what you stated here and ask him to return your stuff. As I said, depending on what he has done on the stuff so far, you may or may not be able to recover your deposit but at least you'll have your stuff.

Good luck!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 AM
The Man

ugh sounds sticky. Good luck and make sure you let us know the result.

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page