Preserving a cape while hunting out of state? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By willyp
  • 1 Post By bohunr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Preserving a cape while hunting out of state?

Have a group going to Montana this fall rifle hunting for elk and mule deer. Was wondering on how to keep the hide in good shape to tan it with hair on when we get back home? Day time temps in 50s and night time in 20s based on historical temps for the area we are hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM

if you do not have access to a freezer at the main lodge then Salt them, you will have to turn everything inside out first and flesh it real good. you will have to open the ears, turn the lips, nose cartilage, split the eye lids and lips and remove as much flesh as possible or you will have hair slipping.

Salt Or Freeze Animal Cape? | Preserving Your Big Game Hides | BC Hunting Blog | BC Hunting News & Information

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks we will be tent camping so I guess we will need to bring some salt along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:10 AM

Are you going on a guided hunt ????
If so the guide should know what to do with the hides?
The things bohunr says are proper but if you have never split lips and eye lids or turned an ear,it isn't tough but it takes some learning to do!
bohunr likes this.

WILLY P
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
Are you going on a guided hunt ????
If so the guide should know what to do with the hides?
The things bohunr says are proper but if you have never split lips and eye lids or turned an ear,it isn't tough but it takes some learning to do!
and its a lot easier with a scalpel or a havalon which is essentially a scalpel. visit your taxidermist before you go. He / She will explain it in detail and will be able to actually show you how its done. you will get a bigger appreciation of the work they do too.

you will need approximately 20 pounds of non-iodized salt per trophy, you will need to shake off the salt after a day and re-salt the cape / hide a second time as the first salting will draw out the moisture and start setting the hair in place, the second salting will start to lock the hair in place in dry the cape / trophy.

go to u tube and enter this:

deer taxidermy splitting the eyes lips and nose.......a lot of good videos come up that show what you need to know about prepping the cape before salting.

best of luck (Go see your local taxidermist)

Last edited by bohunr; 08-11-2017 at 07:11 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I kill a buck that I plan on mounting while hunting out of state I first take the necessary neck and eye to nose measurements. You can google where to take your measurements. I then cape out the head trying to keep as much meat off the cape as I can. Then I fold it up fur side out and double wrap in two garbage bags pushing all the air out making a small package out of it. I tape it up and mark the measurements on it with a sharpie and put it in the freezer. Put in a cooler to transport home and then in your freezer when you get home, it will keep for several years in the freezer. If you have no freezer a lot of times someone will have access to one in a local town, if not you will be fleshing and salting.

The older I get the better I was.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:12 AM

you have to cool the cape before rolling it up like that. other wise the outside freezes first and traps some heat on the inside which can cause the hair to slip especially around face and ears. just be careful.
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page