My Collection XIII - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My Collection XIII

This trophy and the memories of the hunt to harvest it will always be special to me. To tell you the truth, when booking my hunt, as I looked over my larger animals, this was probably the one I leased desired to harvest; however in the end it is probably my most memorable.

It was the Sixth day of our safari and I had already taken a kudu and gemsbok in the morning within a half an hour of each other. We took the animals to the skinning shed and decided to grab lunch at the lodge before heading out to do some more spot and stalk. We loaded into the vehicles and headed for an area of the property that held some good blue wildebeest which was on my grandfathers list. Of course in route we would be spotting for other game. As the road rounded a point of the mountain above we spotted a group of red hartebeest way up the mountain, it was going to be a heck of a stock up some steep rocky terrain but we could not pass up the opportunity. Again due to the difficulty we opted to leave my grandfather in the truck and started up hill in a dry creek bottom. It was about 3:30 and the wind had really picked up since the morning they were blowing hard and constant at about 30 miles an hour from my right to left. We made our way up the creek bottom until we ran out of cover to stalk, about 750 yards, and set up for the shot. The heard of hartebeest were still 300 plus yards above us and due to the terrain we were looking up hill at them at about a 45 degree angle. I set up and a rock and listened to the guide to try and identify the best bull in the group. The largest bull moved out in the open allowing for an open shot. I ranged the bull at 314 yards up a steep angle with a 30 mile an hour wind. As I squeezed the trigger the big bull buckled and walked about 5 steps and piled up. The shot is by far the most difficult I have ever taken and after practically crawling up to my trophy and examining the entry and exit wounds, I could not have put the bullet in a better spot if I placed the muzzle against his chest.

This was the final animal on my trophy list, though my grandfather and brother still had several animals to harvest. I posed for pictures on top of this mountain overlooking Asante Sana Ranch and could not have been happier. It was truly a beautiful setting and an amazing experience capping off a tremendous day of the hunt of a lifetime.

Me with my Hartebeest

The view from where the Hartebeest fell with the lodge in the background

The mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:46 PM
The Man

Re: My Collection XIII

Sweet!

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: My Collection XIII

Awesome collection! Headed there in 4 months with CraigP. Your pics make me want to go earlier!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page