Rate my mount! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rate my mount!

I just came up with this idea of having others on the board especially some of you experienced taxidermist give some opinions of what you think about the quality of our mounts. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but lets face it, there have been some really poor mounts posted on the forums recently and in the past. Anyone with any ammount of decency should not critique ones mount when they have their "Just got my 1999 mount back from the taxi" post bragging about how great it looks. Very often you read the posts and say hey nice mount while thinking gosh I wouldnt have paid $5 for that thing. So anyways, lets have this be a place where people can post pictures of their mount and everyone give their honest opinion about it good or bad. Obviously its your choice to list who did the mount and also only post if you can take a little bit of honesty. This will give everyone a chance to get a honest opinion of how their mount looks and gives them a true feeling of how well their taxi does and a sense of whether or not they should take their business to the said taxi again. Make sure to take good quality pictures as to represent your mount the best you can.

Ill get a pic or two of my mounts up soon as Im very interested in seeing what others think of quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Re: Rate my mount!

this could get ugly....I think all need to read this part very carefully "and also only post if you can take a little bit of honesty."

This forum is very mellow, so let's not let this get out of hand. I'm just afraid this will turn into taxis critiquing other taxis instead of sportsman critiquing the work.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I get what your saying. Maybe ill just post my pics once I have them and then we can have this post locked? I dont know I have my mount from 2010 and I am kind of interested in what people really think about it, I paid a little more then most places to get it done and I was wondering if others thought it was a good job or not. I have been cleaing the house to take the load off my wife but once I get a chance here Ill take some pics and see what everyone thinks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Unfortunately I too think it is a bad idea. Most people can't handle criticizm well.

folks can always ask for private opinions where there is less chance of hurt feelings.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Part of the Community

Unfortunately, I too think this would be a huge mistake. Feelings are going to get hurt, bottom line. If you are a beginner, and want a critique (it's hard to jude from a photo), go to taxidermy.net., and you will get some opinions. It's better to join the PTA, and go to one or more of the three competitions held anually, and pay to get a critique from someone you can stand beside,face to face, and ask as many questions as you want. I know a taxidermist that is banned from this site for giving his opinion on a mount, (that the guy asked for).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 06:10 PM

I'll jump in and say that I too, think its a VERY bad idea for the reasons Gary and Bob have already expressed. Couple those with the fact that a picture is the absolute WORST way for ANY person to critique a mount and you have a recipe for disaster. You would be critiquing a 3 dimensional work of art with a 1 dimensional picture---NOT a good idea.

From a taxidermist's standpoint I can confidently say that its no one's business what I think of a mount. If the person that owns it is happy with it that is all that should count.
As a judge I get PAID to give my OPINION on mounts but it is usually the taxidermist that did the work asking for my opinion---not the client he/she did it for. As Bob said, if the taxidermist wants to know what other QUALIFIED taxidermists think of his work he can take it to a PTA show or post a pic of it on Taxinet. As far as clients doing the critiquing of mounts.......one only needs to look at some of the stuff posted here that has recieved RAVE reviews from "lay people"--a lot of it is God awful, as the OP said, and yet people still rave about it.

Bottom line......as long as YOU are happy with YOUR trophy who cares what everyone else thinks!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 PM

ill get my popcorn ready for this one it could get interesting!!!!!!

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

171farm, if you want to post pics of the mounts you have, go ahead, just be sure to put your thick skin on (elephant rawhide). I won't let the thread get full of flaming though, but I usually only check this forum once a day, so self police yourselves, ok?

If someone else really wants us taxidermists to critique mounts, feel free to post. But only if you think maybe the work isn't good but are not sure. Keep the taxidermist identity to pm's though, in case they read this forum. I don't want them to get wacko over some post and start writing junk. This isn't taxi-net LOL.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM

Does anyone remember the cross-eyed coyote mount? That thing was a wreck! LOL
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

lol, yea i remember. pure guy.lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page