Huge Neck - Manitoba buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Huge Neck - Manitoba buck

It is a big help for any taxidermist to get the proper measurements on any trophy to be mounted. This is my 2016 buck and he was a big bodied deer - full rut. I ordered the largest form they make!
Check with your taxidermist before you go on any hunt to find out what measurements will assist in producing the best mount for your harvest.
Feel free to contact me with any questions: Non Typical Wildlife Artistry and Taxidermy by Bill MacFarland
YankeeHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a big boy right there.

Last edited by Laylow; 03-16-2017 at 06:55 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM

That is a beautiful buck. His neck is so big it takes away from the rack which is also beautiful. Nice job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

great looking mount there and its amazing how big some of the canadian white tails can get!

I on a sad note once shot a huge one like that up in Alberta, and then brought it to a local taxidermist who screwed me big time, he couldn;t find a forum with a large enough neck and head,, so, he cut my cape down to make it fit what he had, and its one of the worst mounts I ever got,( I have 43 WT heads mounted)
and was such a huge buck, neck and body wise, field dressed at 250 lbs, scored only 150 B&C,
But I could have killed the taxidermist for what he did to it, as NO taking back after he cut it down on me, and I am NOT the type to use another cape , only mount things I kill 100% even a new cape to me wouldn't fix this,as to me wouldn;t be the same!

after this, I started taking measurements of deer before they went to a taxidermist and TOLD them up front what I did and what I expect back

it pays to learn these things

every time I look at that mount I get angry, well some what, I still recall the hunt, which was a great time

but that taxidermist, never got any more work from me!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
great looking mount there and its amazing how big some of the canadian white tails can get!

I on a sad note once shot a huge one like that up in Alberta, and then brought it to a local taxidermist who screwed me big time, he couldn;t find a forum with a large enough neck and head,, so, he cut my cape down to make it fit what he had, and its one of the worst mounts I ever got,( I have 43 WT heads mounted)
and was such a huge buck, neck and body wise, field dressed at 250 lbs, scored only 150 B&C,
But I could have killed the taxidermist for what he did to it, as NO taking back after he cut it down on me, and I am NOT the type to use another cape , only mount things I kill 100% even a new cape to me wouldn't fix this,as to me wouldn;t be the same!

after this, I started taking measurements of deer before they went to a taxidermist and TOLD them up front what I did and what I expect back

it pays to learn these things

every time I look at that mount I get angry, well some what, I still recall the hunt, which was a great time

but that taxidermist, never got any more work from me!
43????? Wow I can't justify one let alone 43. But of course mine are only pine board stensomatic worthy. I imagine your game wall is pretty nice looking.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRack! View Post
43????? Wow I can't justify one let alone 43. But of course mine are only pine board stensomatic worthy. I imagine your game wall is pretty nice looking.
HAHA< yeah I have a lot of deer heads, broken up between 3 property's I have, and I used to hunt several states a yr, wa sa hunting nut for too many yrs I think, as I hunted 3+ months a yr, and thats a LOT of tree time, looking back now I think I was half nuts, and spent way too many hours sitting in tree's in poor weather! HAHA!

but I was very lucky, as a good friend of mine was a taxidermist for 20+ yrs, so he did most of my work for costs, so I got many of them done dirt cheap, and quality was top shelf to boot!

I really wish he never gave it up, as it was a huge challenge trying to found another taxidermist that didn;t SUCK, after him, he spoiled me with the quality he did, NOT to mention the price
honestly since he stopped doing them, I have yet to find one near me worth HALF what they charge, far too many do SO SO work at best!

that's one thing I really learned about taxidermist and taxidermy
most don;'t know what a POOR mount is till they get it next to a GOOD one
when you only have one, to compare things to, its hard to see the small things that are NOT right

I used to go to taxidermist events with him for and see how they judge mounts, very interesting things and great info to learn if you plan to have a few done over the yrs!

NOW so many things mounted are honestly a pain in the butt, and dust magnets
but I will die with them all, and who ever gets them after me can do as they wish, there memories to me with a little more I saved of the hunts
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 PM

Nice buck KUDOS!

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That is one huge necked buck, what did his neck measure. Looks like 26 plus inches.

The older I get the better I was.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:07 PM

awesome looking buck. The mount came out beautiful
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Part of the Community

nice mount. not to take away from your big buck but I also shot a fat neck buck in Manitoba a few years back. buck was over tick over 300 lbs, it was not in rut yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6085.jpg (112.3 KB, 27 views)
NonTypical2 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page