Learning Taxidermy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ng270

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Learning Taxidermy

hey everyone.

New here, been trying to learn more and found this forum.

Recently I lost my Job so i'm attempting to make taxidermy at least something that can get me some income lol

is there anyone here who knows anyone who teaches people? Ive been trying to self teach with roadkill but im wayyy better at learning when im being shown in person. I live in the Pittsburgh area.

Even if anyone knows where to find roadkill. I can never find more then groundhogs which I dont want to waste my tanning stuff on. thier great for skinning practice but not much else. (if anyone can tell me where they see coys or foxes Id love to know. Pittsburgh isnt very great for finding things)

I have most of the needed equipment and i have a basic understanding of what im doing I just think I need more learning lol im getting two opossums soon and I dont want to mess them up. i want to mount them eventually but I want to practice a bit more.

Thanks for any help.

oh btw I do have my fur handling license so I can pick up roadkill.

Last edited by EnergonGiraffe; 01-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM

just ask some local taxidermists if they need help. someone might teach enough to get you started in the right direction in exchange for shop labor.

some might see it as creating a future competitor. you also go to taxidermy dot net, they have a beginners forum and an entire tutorial section on how to do things.

and, they have specimens for sale, some, even donate items to beginners. be very careful when buying, you have to know the law, just because its for sale does not mean its legal.

also a great place to ask advice on how its done, before you start anything.

you can learn a lot by joining the PA state taxidermy association, buying DVD's, book, etc...

you can also get some real good personal specimens by hunting / trapping

good luck

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Part of the Community

You can't legally do it for others until you are certified.
To do this, you need to attend a school.
Schools are expensive, I can't county how many people I knew that got into taxidermy and got out of it twice as fast.
Jordan Taxidermy is probably the best school to attend.
If you are that poor, you would probably need to move to Punxsutawney to be able to afford to attend school there. It is too far out of town to walk, and it gets too cold in the winter to ride a bicycle to school from town.
Maybe you could find temporary employment working at WalMart , Sheetz or one of the fast food restaurants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbo View Post
You can't legally do it for others until you are certified.
To do this, you need to attend a school.
You need a $100 taxidermy license from the PA Department of Agriculture. Getting it is as simple as looking up the right address and sending in your $100. No education required.

If you are charging for the work, you also need a PA sales tax license, which is also simple to get.
bohunr likes this.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky

Last edited by ng270; 01-05-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added info
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:29 PM

ng270 is correct.

no more school, no more testing by the PGC in order to get a license, no one but the customer checking to see if your work is good or not. send in the application to the PA dept of agriculture along with your check for $100.00 and BINGO

you are now a licensed Taxidermist. get the sales tax license, hang a shingle with ABC Taxidermy on it and start making money.

only your conscience will determine if you are a taxidermist or a hackadermist.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks everyone! I dont know any local taxidermist is the problem i have wich is why Im trying to talk on forms and maybe get some leads to people who could help. The closest one is around 40 mins away and I have no form of income atm or a car.

I dont plan on selling my taxidermy right now until I can afford a license for that but I do sell the Pelts, bones/specimens, and dry preserves since Its legal. (I talked to a couple game police over the years and take notes)

I cant afford a school right now at ALL especially if they dont take Fasfa. I also right now literally cant afford to get anything (My only income is 20 bucks a month I get from my mom and that goes to cat food. Its sucks right now lol) and im having trouble finding a regular job because of my anxiety/depression. (which is why i lost my job haha)

I do go on taxi and read as much as I can but im more of a hands on learner I guess and tend to ask a million questions. So right now ive been lucky enough that my grandfather takes me out to look for roadkill and stuff so i can get some practice. so i guess im just trying to make connections in the area right now, even people who wouldn't mind throwing me kills they dont want or something I have no idea. Just trying to find ways to practice. I wish thier was something that showed me where roadkills happened that would help lol

anyway thanks everyone!
any more thoughts would still be helpfull
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:31 PM

I don`t know if it will help but try you tube.If your looking for things to mount find a local trapper and see if he will give you some coon or possum.Their not worth much right now so I`m sure they would give you a couple.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergonGiraffe View Post
I wish their was something that showed me where roadkills happened that would help

try looking on the road

Sorry...just cant help it sometimes.

I wish they would move those deer crossing signs to less traveled areas so the deer dont get hit by cars. why do they want the deer to cross at those spots anyway?

AHHHHH...there i go again.

Last edited by bohunr; 01-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page