Mounting... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mounting...

I have never got one mounted but have a question on it. If I would like a head mount done, what preperations and how do I go about that? I take my deer to a butcher. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mounting...

First in your case . If you take it to a buthcer make sure you tell him you want it mounted so he Capes it for you . I prefer to do this myself cause you never know what kinda job your gonna get unless you kno the buthcer . Then keep the cape cool or immediately take it to a taxidermist . He'll take over from there . And make sure the butcher gives you the tag with the head . Alot of game officers check taxi shops to make sure all trophys are tagged and legal .

If the arrows flying , Somethings Dying !!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 AM
The Man

Yeah, preferably have it caped immediatly. I almost lost a cape due to a butcher not caping it till the following day. Try and get it to your taxi asap and try to avoid freezing it.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yes do not freeze it I.E dont throw it in a cooler with bags of ice . You'll Ruin the hide . You could wrap the ice in a blanket or something I guess . But get the hide to the taxi asap . The better condition its in when he gets it the better your mount will be .

If the arrows flying , Somethings Dying !!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Choose your taxidermist first....he can refer you to a butcher that capes deer properly. Most butchers don't really know how to cape a deer properly and could care less if it's done correctly. They want to get the hide off as quick as possible...they get paid to cut meat.

It's always a good idea to choose a taxidermist BEFORE you need one anyway. No late night pressure to find one that way. Your taxidermist will help guide you through all the things you need to do.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can freeze a cape with the head still in it if you have to and have freezer space for it, but it must be fresh caped and allowed to cool some stretched out to disapate body heat( cool in cold air- stretching it out in the freezer is ok too if it is warm outside, but only for an hour or so, then bring it together and put it in a plastic bag after chilling). I skinned one last week that was fresh caped and just bought right on over- that is fine too! The neck meat was still warm!

To store a cape/head frozen, take a contractors trash bag and bring it over and above the antlers and tie it off, or wrap the bag ends around the antler bases just above the pedicals on the head, and secure to make air tight. You can store it frozen like this for months if need be.

As to butcher shops, some do a fine job of caping and storing until pick up. You may want to find a taxidermist before you even get the deer, and ask them who the good butchers are for both good caping and cold storage and for quality of processing the meat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
New Arrival

Send a message via Yahoo to hunterray2002

I cant stress enough. Have ataxidermist cape it out before you plan on showing off the antlers. I love when guys bring me deer heads that have seen 4 to 5 hrs of road trips and then the guy expects you to mount it and not lose a cape. Thank god for stop rott.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page