To Everyone doing Taxidermy without a license - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

To Everyone doing Taxidermy without a license

If your doing Any type of Taxidermy including Skull Cleaning, Antler Mounting etc... You Need To Read This!

To clarify a few regulations regarding the Pa. Dept of Agriculture, Pa. taxidermist license. If you are practicing taxidermy and you hold yourself out to the public you need a license, so even if you do something for a friend you need a license PERIOD. Also under title 3 Chapter 27 regulation S.2701 Definitions: A specimen is any of the following:

1. A bird or any part of a bird
2. An animal or any part of an animal
3. A fish or any part of a fish
4. A reptile or any part of a reptile

What this means is if you even touch a skull ,a skull is a specimen in accordance with the law, all skull cleaners need a license and to elaborate even farther if you put antlers on a panel you need a license.

Be advised if you are a taxidermist in Pa. and you haven't renewed your license, or if you are doing any sort of work regarding a specimen, the Pa. Dept. of Ag. is going to start going after the people not in compliance with the law at the end of Jan. They have a long list or people not in compliance, i recommend you pay for your license now.

Fines and penalties range from a $25.00 fine all the way up to a $1,500.00 fine and imprisonment up to 3 months.

If you have further questions or concerns visit the Pa. Dept of Agriculture website at, /www.agriculture.state.pa.us

Dave Houser
P.T.A President

PTA CERTIFIED TAXIDERMIST
Member of PTA and Vice Pres
PA Taxidermy and Fed license.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 PM
The Man

Re: To Everyone doing Taxidermy without a license

Now if the Dept of Ag actually had any enforcemet it might be a deterent

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:53 PM
The Man

First, I'll say this... I have my license and have had it for a few years.

Then I'll go into this. I've read and heard all the griping by skilled taxis that had to go through the old school licensing procedure about the new just go buy a license procedure. Fears of "non skilled" persons just buying a license and stealing work, running down the market. This regulation supported by the PTA in regard to skull cleaning seems very counterproductive in regard to that mentality. I had no interest in doing anything but skulls, anything.... but now I am forced to buy a license, so..cool, now I'm open to do any taxi work I want, something I would never have considered before. I have a feeling that the vast majority of guys cleaning skulls felt the same way. Seems to me you guys are just hurting yourselves by pushing this regulation. Is it that you are hoping that $100 bill is going to deter people from starting a business? It was simple.. if any of you out there want to know how, send me a message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

where's that popcorn smiley?

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
The Man

Good question! I paid for my seat, so now that I've said my peace and wash my hands of it, I'm gonna watch the show!
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Your taking this all wrong Chasintail. I'm glad to hear you have a license. This was only to keep some of you from getting fined.
Before you bash the PTA you should know all of the facts. You would be paying 10 times that $100 fee now if the PTA wouldn't have got involved.

Now to clear the mud you made.

The PTA didn't write the law, it was already in place. There is no new regulation and the PTA didn't push for any new laws on Skull cleaners, or anybody else for that matter. We have simply been told by the Dept of Ag. that they will be enforcing the law in the near future and we are giving you a heads up. Visit the Dept of Ag. web site and call them for more information.

post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my beagle cleans skulls for free. he's workin' on one right now as a matter of fact.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 AM
The Man

It wasn't my intention to bash the PTA. Its just a messed up situation. Govt gets involved, things get messed up. Just the way it is. Mud comes from above and is let for those of us at the bottom to deal while lacking guidance. The mud you speak of is probably something a lot of guys are looking at. Clarification isn't only for me, but a lot of others.
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I don't like the fact that we must have a license either, but that is the law. I also agree that Government just screws up everything, but it is ... what it is.
I do know this... If your going to run any business you should do your homework and know what the laws are. Don't assume you know, or take someones word for it.
If you're not sure of what to do, I would recommend calling the Dept of Ag. and asking for more details.
We were also informed that there is law enforcement in place and they would be making visits in the near future.

post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Part of the Community

All Brian and Dave are trying to do is give people a heads up as to what is going to happen in the near future. They are coming after people that do not have a license. I have heard the Dept of Ag already has a list of people that they are targeting. If you have a license, no problem, if you don't have one, get one, problem solved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page