Changing a mount once it's complete? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Changing a mount once it's complete?

I was just curious if you had a mount, and decided you wanted a different position, how hard would it be, or would it even be possible to do? Say for example you had a fox or bobcat mounted in a sitting position, and you wanted it mounted in a standing/walking position. Is that doeable, or no?

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Re: Changing a mount once it's complete?

I'm not a taxidermist, but since no one answered, I think it can be done, but it all depends on if the pelt is able to be removed in a manner in which it is able to be used again. Usually, with deer mounts, they save the antlers and find a new hide/cape.

IF YOU SEND ME A PM, I WON'T GET IT USUALLY UNLESS I SEND ONE FIRST. REPLY & TELL ME TO PM YOU
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It would cost as much to remount as to do a fresh mount with a new animal, so unless it is something really rare like an albino, you might as well go trap/shoot another of the same species.

Most times a remount would be tricky, as it depends on the tanning or preservation method and how long ago the mount was done.

You could get a mount done "plushie" style if you can find someone who will do one. The head and lower legs are hard mounted, the hide is a full soft tan and filled with some sort of material, and you can pose it in different laying and sitting positions. There are some who make them over at taxidermy.net 's forums, you can find them in the "mammals" section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the replies. I had a bobcat mounted in a sitting position with a grouse at it's feet. Turns out my wifes dog loves feathers. So I was considering getting the cat remounted in a walking/creeping position on a wall mount base so I could put it out of the dogs reach. Didn't know if something like that would be possible or not. I don't really need another cat mounted. This was the first one I ever harvested, and it may be the last. I don't want to kill another one just for the purpose of getting it mounted. Plus, this one was pretty large, so I doubt I'll get one that is more impressive.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Sitting mounts can be done for the wall too!

IF YOU SEND ME A PM, I WON'T GET IT USUALLY UNLESS I SEND ONE FIRST. REPLY & TELL ME TO PM YOU
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM

replace the grouse with a rabbit or a mouse

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I thought about that, but I like the grouse/cat combo in the sitting position, better than the mouse or rabbit. If I would happen to get it redone, I think I would take the skull from the bear I got this year, and have the cat creeping/swatting at a chipmonk going into the eye socket of the skull.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Today is arrowhead's birthday!

I've seen it done and it turned out great. I don't do those type of mounts, but I will recommend someone if you want.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have a taxidermist do a wall base that the cat can sit on and get another grouse mounted to replace the damaged one.

If it was mounted in the last couple of years and was fully tanned, it may be able to be wetted out and remounted to another pose.

As to the chipmunk- DON'T! They are illegal to have in PA unless you run a nature center/ have a salvage permit for another educational purpose. Also- no flying squirrels. Having a freeze dried mouse or rat hiding in the skull would be a good substitute.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I'm familiar with the regs, and can get the chippy legally, no problem. The cat was done last yr, finished in March. I'm thinking if the cat it sitting on a wall mount with the grouse infront, it would stick off the wall a good deal, and the grouse may be hard to see. where as with the walking mount, if the cat was parallel to the wall, it wouldn't stick out so much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page