racoon mounts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

racoon mounts

I have a very large racoon I trapped and would like to get it mounted. I have an idea of how I want it but would like to get some other ideas. Please post any coon mounts you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Re: racoon mounts

here is the one I got back recently. This was a 28lb coon, my largest by far, called in and taken at night while predator hunting. I originally had it tanned, but then decided a mount was in order, my taxidermist did a great job "fabricating" all the parts that had been removed for the original hanging hide.
next to a 2ft step ladder for size comparison.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Coons sitting, and laying on branch, though the branch style does come in another type of pose with 1 foot under the chin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Here is a late summer furred bandit i did
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:23 PM

what does a coon mount run in price over a fox mount? pretty close for quality work or is there a bit of difference?

as a trapper i must say i HATE skinning coons therfore i release them or sell them whole. greys are pretty "greasy" and "fatty" as well...reds are the easiest for me to skin and flesh... so IMO i would assume coons and greys cost more. but i have a feeling IM WRONG
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Coons and foxes run pretty much the same price. Of course, that is variable depending on the pose and habitat as well. Coons are probably the easiest animal, albeit the messiest, to skin and flesh properly. Anyone with a good beam and draw knife can get a coon properly fleshed in a few minutes. Degreasing the fur is always a critical step with furbearers to get the fur fluffed and dried properly. Unfortunately, that is a step that a lot of taxidermists overlook resulting in slicked down "dead" looking foxes, coons and coyotes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Coons do require the fleshing and if you skin one cold or if it's a big fat one, it does take longer than a fox. However it seems to take me the same time to skin a coon for fur as a fox, and if I let the pelt get cold, the fleshing is pretty quickly done. Where I get nitpicky is the coon board and how many pins I use on the rump/tail section LOL.

Skinning a coon or fox takes about the same time for taxidermy, though those coon toes can be a PIA sometimes. I have to flesh the foxes ( incl reds) for mounting, as I do tan them in-shop (I also do the coons). It is easier to flesh the foxes fresh than after being in a pickle. I find that a fox has more detailing needed, thus takes more time to work on than a coon mount, so I charge less for a coon than a fox. And yes these all get a degreaser soak during the tanning process, and a nice shampoo and rinse right before the actual mounting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page