Euro mount procedure - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Euro mount procedure

I shot a decent buck on Wednesday and would like to do a Euro mount on it. I know that there are probably a thousand threads on here about it but my search found nothing I was looking for.

I have already skinned the head and have a pot ready for boiling the head. Do I add anything in the water or just boil it? What is the best solution for whitening?

Basically I would just like a step by step on what to do to go from boiling the head to whitening and sealing. Thank you very much for any info or links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Euro mount procedure

Google is your friend:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4547449_boil...ean-mount.html

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

2 quick comments:

you better to this outdoors.

The odor would make a skunk nauseous.
And, you might have to glue in teeth that have loosen/fallen out.

Getting out the brains is not only difficult it's nasty.

same too, with the eyes.

worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM

I boil mine in a turkey fryer out in the yard for about 2 hours. I don't remove anything till its boiled. The hide comes off like a sock and the brain comes out like a steamed clam from its shell.
Once its boiled out the smell ain't so bad but it ain't roses either
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM

i cringe when i see guys wanting to BOIL. the trick to this method is simmer. Good Luck. and congrats on the buck!

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I did this one by just throwing it up on the garage roof for about 6 months. I did put it in the smoker with a hot fire for about 10 minutes to kill any bugs before bringing it in the house. This was done 1986.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Like johnny said, its a simmer you want...not a rolling boil...

I add dawn dish soap with bleach alternative..It cuts the grease and gets the bone whiter...if it stays greasy, it will be or turn yellow...

Gotta keep water over the skull...my pot isn't deep so I have to add water once an hour or so....

After 4-5hrs everything is soft and I pull it out and pull the bottom jaw off and pull out the eyes and other hunks of meat....it speeds up the process and cuts down on grease...by that time, there isn't much left but what is, is really stuck on...I change water and add another bottle of soap...simmer till it all falls off...usually 6-8hrs...

Time depends on heat and how well you picked and cut off meat prior to simmering...

After that I wash it, get the brain out etc...then I whiten it...I get a bunch of regular ole peroxide from a dollar store and fill a bucket and put the skull in for a week or so....some guys use beauticans peroxide for bleahing...faster..but more expensive and can burn you etc....I never used it...

The smell really isn't horrible...I wouldn't do it indoors but know a guy that does....all your doing is cooking the meat off the bone....

Oh, when skinning, get the tounge and such out..tounge comes out by making a cut along the inside of the bottom jaw...like I said, I cut and pick off as much meat as possible after skinning.....

Do not use bleach! It breaks down the bone and will ruin it...turns it into chaulk pretty quick....my method leads the bone nice and hard and white....
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM

I agree with Mausers method....I did one a few years ago like this, but I will never do another one. There are a few guys that will do them for $60. Well worth it if you ask me.

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 05:22 PM

it is a bit of work bucket...i pretty much refuse to do any as a "favor" noone realizes how much work goes into it...not to mention 20$ of propane, 5$ of soap and 5-10$ of peroxide for my method..not to mention the work involved..this was the first year i did one for a buddy and its not happening again..hate to say it but his isnt getting peroxide it will get bleached..i got stuck with it and i know he wont do nothing special with it or appreciate the work that went into it as he has no idea..

a different buddy asked if id do it for him since i had to do mine and 2 will fit in the pot...ughhh ok i guess i can do it..well, it took over 8hrs and still isnt done..wasnt skinned out real great..just a pain..mine are usually done in 5-6hrs but i tried to do 2 and it took much longer and they still need to go back in the pot as they werent done like i thought...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
The Man

A lot of my customers are happy to have me do the work so they can just cut it off the deer and have it handed back. If you figure the hours to income ratio, having it done by someone like myself is still really cheap. Imagine if we charged mechanics wages per hour to do the job, regardless of method. Also must be considered is the overhead with keeping chemicals and supplies, my beetle colony that I just don't pull out of a box in the fall, I have to maintain it all year with food, electric, bedding...etc. Having a skull cleaned and whitened is a really inexpensive trophy in the grand scheme of things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page