Hide Tanning Solution - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hide Tanning Solution

I am curious as to which hide tanning solutions you might recommend for deer hide fur on. Positive and negative recommendations appreciated.

P.S.
I have read back through all the posts on tanning, etc. and know this is a much debated topic. I want to learn how to do this myself and will not be choosing to send it to a tannery.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 AM
New Arrival

Re: Hide Tanning Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRedneck
I am curious as to which hide tanning solutions you might recommend for deer hide fur on. Positive and negative recommendations appreciated.
I have had real good results with Alum and salt brine picklefor hair on deer skin.Flesh the hide as best you can with a scraper(remove all membranes) then put into a solution of Kosher (non-iodated) OR tanning salt with Alum added ( I have proportions somewhere at home but you can get info on the web on Alum tanning).I also add and antibacterial solution and keep in a cool place to prevent rot.Ater approx 1 week or when hide is thoroughly pickled (cut a small piece and look at center) I take it out of pickle..flesh again and squeeze it out so that it is damp but not soaking.Then comes the work.Apply a tanning oil or emulsion to the fleshed side and fold it over on itself (or roll up).Periodically (eyeball it to see if oil soaked up) open it and begin "breaking the leather" ie- pull from side to side and you should begin to feel it give.Reaplay oil let sit-repeat etc. DO NOT let it dry out! otherwise it will harden on you and be very hard. I did a couple of skins this way and hair is real tight -does not pull out even if tugging on it and leather is soft..Good luck.
PS- Good book /video out there I believe called"deerskins into buckskins that gets into braintanning-hair on etc

Fine line between genius and insanity and I weave back and forth across it.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply archer. Which tanning oil do you recommend? I know there are alot available, just curious to hear some opinions on which are good and which are not.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

brains is about the best you can use...just don't let the wife catch you using the blender to "emulsify" the cow brains with water.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM

I use the John Rinehart Tanning Solution with out pickle.

Some people use it with a pickle but it can be used without.

I have had good results. From what I understand, the cape should be fresh when using without a pickle. In other words the deer shouldn't have benn in the back of a truck on on a garage floor for several days. Shouldbe kept cool too.

It almost seems too easy.

I just cape out the deer. Use a pressure washer to get the fat/meat off. (I use a skife for face)

I then salt over night. Wash in Dawn dishwashing detergent. Apply JRTS let it on overnite. Then freeze cape until I'm ready to mount.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 AM
New Arrival

I swear by Krowtann 2000 i`ve done everything from foxes,coons,beavers and possums with great results..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the replies jayd4wg, windwalker and rage! I will check more into those you mentioned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page