Euro Mount for Jr.? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Euro Mount for Jr.?

A Jr.hunter I know in the Denver area is looking for someone to do a Euro mount of his 1st deer shull.Any idea who in the Lancaster area that I can point him to?Any ideas on how much he can expect to pay?

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Euro Mount for Jr.?

I dont know how long it takes you to run to Palmyra but I just called Wagners Taxidermy and he charges $90. 5-6 week turnaround. He boils them himself, doesnt send them out or have bugs do the work. I've never taken anyhting to him before so i have no idea how good his work is. Kinda hard to mess up a european mount in my opinion. I think i'm going to drop mine off tonight or tomorrow.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Eberly's bugworks off of rt 72 north of manheim does good work. He did my bear and has my firends elk right now. Picked clean, bleached and sealed.

http://www.eberlybugworks.com/

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearklr
Eberly's bugworks off of rt 72 north of manheim does good work. He did my bear and has my firends elk right now. Picked clean, bleached and sealed.

http://www.eberlybugworks.com/
So glad I checked this thread today. Just got off of the phone with Jay Eberly. Sounds like a super nice guy. I'm heading down there this evening. $115 for a whitetail. 4 month back log.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
The Man

i would try to do it yourself. Maybe 4 hours of work to get it right. That is the only way i do mine.

time: 4 hours
supplies: dawn, bleach, peroxide, coleman stove or deepfryer burner, stock pot, knife.

clean hide and meat off of skull
boil skull for 3 hours(longer the better) pick off all remaining meat. Best way is to use a pressure washer.

Once you get all meat off let outside in sun and air to dry. Add a combo of bleach and peroxide to the mount to make it white. Some people dont use bleach but i have had success with it.

all together including that pretty plaque you are looking at 40 bucks. and you can reuse some of the supplies. I would rather do it my self for less than half that have a taxidermist do it and 1) pay more and 2) take longer.

It is realy easy i promise.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 AM
JD3
Frequent Contributor

If Elizabethtown isn't too far away I had a European mount done with the first buck I got with my bow by Monchak's Taxidermy. I think it is $100 but I am not sure if that is on a wood panel or not. I guess he boils them and the bleaches them. Here is a picture:
(FYI: Was shot when I was a junior hunter so I did not have to follow the antler/point restrictions at the time. It is a legal buck.)
My dad tried doing a Europeam mount of a mule deer buck once but the skull cracked or something so that didn't work. I accidently shot a button buck once and I let that skull lay outside under a bucket and the bugs worked at that pretty good to clean it up but I think it got brittle or something. I don't know now what happen to that skull.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is Monchak even still around? I heard he closed and moved to Fl.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Regular Visitor

I would use some caution with bowmikes advice, especially the "boiling and bleach", both of which can and will deteriorate bone. The fine fragile bones are subject to damage unless you are careful.

Besides that, do you really save much money if you have a half hour skinning, "3 hours boiling", an additional hour whitening, and $40 dollars in materials. That makes your time worth about a maximum of $13 an hour. It may or may not be worth while to do it yourself.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

aguita, you hit it on the head. Time and material puts it almost at a wash. I sent mine out. However, I wouldnt mind trying it with the bugs next time I get one
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

there is a guy living on mt rd 4 miles west of cabelas that does them for 45 dollars I had my archery buck done by him. He does a great job.He has a sign out front.Pm me with your number and i will call you when i get home from camp next week with his number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page